NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang
A friend of mine just had a beaver move into his pond. Not stream, pond. It's got no streams feeding it, either, which we both agreed was odd for a beaver. Best he can figure is that it's the only water left that the darn critter could find.

Anyhow -- is this new guest a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing?

The only stories I've heard have been of beavers damming streams and washing under banks... Never heard of them taking up residence in still water.

I've got one recommendation along the lines of "where there's one, there'll be more", and that they're likely to start knocking down trees, so it'd be best to call the Extension Service and find someone to trap and relocate him sooner rather than later.... Anybody got any reason to recommend otherwise?

Thx - lefty

·
Registered
791 Posts
you are right, where there is one, there will be more. Any small trees he's got he can count as gone, and from what I hear they will put a dent in his fish population too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The beaver won't hurt the fish. Beavers are vegetarians, eating the inner bark of trees. Now, the trees and shrubs around the pond are a different story! If theirs not much vegetation near the pond, he'll likely soon move on. By the way, two of my best friends are federal beaver trappers and I've gone with them several times. Interesting work. If the beaver sticks around, I'd advise you to call the USDA Wildlife Services office in Raleigh.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've got some friends that trap Beaver.. if you wait until season comes in, I am sure they'd come get it for him. If you call a ADC trapper, you'll have to pay for it. Get one of these guys and they'll do it just to earn the money on the fur sale.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
thats so true , the beavers like there vegatation and they will make a real mess of the small trees, my father n law had problems with them building a den in a small stream behind his house, he could remove the den today and two days later build it back stopping up the stream. i would take action now to stop damage to trees and prevent others from coming in. my 2cents for what its worth.................chris

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd much rather see the beaver relocated than wrapped around somebodys shoulders... I think we have plenty of things to keep us warm without taking furs..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not telling you NOT to do it, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to "relocate" beaver. The federal trappers here have told me it's illegal...at least for them. Anyway, makes since. You'd just be moving the problem to somebody elses property.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not telling you NOT to do it, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to "relocate" beaver. The federal trappers here have told me it's illegal...at least for them.
That's the good thing about calling a government department like the Extension Service... they're not likely to suggest an illegal option, and if they do, you've got a pretty reasonable defense.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
My opinion, I said it, I stand by it. Might right just as it is yours to disagree... I'll fight to protect your rights and expect the same... Plenty of pros and cons for and against the beaver.. I'm Pro Beaver!!...LOL:D

BTW, If were gonna stir it lets do it well. Heres one for ya! "Just because it is Illegal, doesnt mean it is wrong..."

·
Registered
575 Posts
I in general, like beavers too. I think they create great wildlife habitate...if kept to acceptable levels. I've got a small stream on the back of a piece of property I own. Beavers are downstream. Kinda hoping they will move upstream and build a nice pond on my property. However, I wouldn' t want them to become TOO prolific and destroy too many of my trees. Remember, beavers no longer have natural preditors because we've eliminated them. So now, it's up to us to keep them to acceptable populations.

Hey TCfisherman, I think you have one of those retired federal beaver trappers living there in Vanceboro. I think his name is Claudie Taylor.

I'm supposed to be moved to New Bern when my job finishishes up here. My wife and I are looking pretty hard at the Vanceboro area when that happens. We like the small town, country atmosphere better than New Bern.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Muddy I agree. Moderation, conservation.

Vanceboro is handy to New Bern. Not a bad little town. My wife and I have been talking about moving down that way ourselves. Vanceboro or Aurora. It is a couple of years off as we have to get 2 houses ready and sold before we could, but it is a thought. Washington is just not rural enough for me. I don't like living in town...and I sure disagree with local Government around here ( but I generally disagree with any government these days anyway..LOL)

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
you are correct sir,i could not think of claudie name before, we would love to have you in our town, give me a pm sometime when your coming this way,and would be glad to show you around...................chris

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks Chris and Sundrop,

The wife and I did a scouting mission earlier this summer checking out New Bern, Pollocksville, and Vanceboro. We spent the most time on Vanceboro. We had a nice meal at Vera's Diner. Vanceboro looks like a nice, clean well kept up town. Just enough aminities that you don't have to go to the "big town" often, but close enough that it's not a big hassle if you do.
I work for NRCS (formally Soil Conservation Service). Don't know exactly when I will be moved, but hey, well might all end up being neighbors before long. We'll probably make another scouting trip or two shortly after we get notification of the move. I'll send y'all a pm then.

I don't know Claudie personally, but his ex-coworkers are my best friends.
I asked one of them about the beaver relocation a few minutes ago. He said it is against USDA regulation for THEM as gov. employees to relocate them, but you as a private citizen may do it. However, he said that if the relocated beavers do damage to property or timber where you relocate them to, the landowner can sue you for those damages. Therefore, I'd recommend a highly covert relocation mission if that's the avenue anybody chooses.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just wanted to put a word of caution in as far as the beaver goes. If your friend has dogs, make sure that he watches them. An old girlfriend's dog has been in a tussle with a beaver. Nothing dramatic came as a result but that beaver can definitely take care of his own (when provoked by a nosey dog).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.