NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been fishing...almost 8 months- since my second son was born. Tomorrow I have the chance to go with my older son and I'd like to take it. I've recently moved up to north east Raleigh, up 401 towards Rolesville. I'm not really sure where I can fish around here. I see people parked on the shoulder of 401 where it crosses the Neuse near Mitchell Mill Rd but I am not sure about going there.

Does anyone know of any public accessible (with parking) spots in this area. I'm not looking for any secret spots, just a nice place to go without hassle.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
The boat launch on Six Forks rd, just south of Rt 98 isn't bad. There are a couple of fishing docks there in addition to the launch docks, so you're not getting crossed up with folks launching their boats. I've caught some bass and catfish there. There is also a park at the Dam, right off New Falls of Neuse Rd. One side of the dam is the lake, where some guys cast in for cats, and the other side of the dam is the river where people catch a fair amount of panfish and probably other stuff too. The park at the dam also has a playground and small pavillion setup to get the little one out of the sun, or let him play in the event that he gets bored with fishing.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
That T dock next to the ramps at Upper Bartons is not a fishing pier, its a courtesy dock to help ease some of the congestion around the ramps. According to the access area regulations,you could get a ticket for fishing off of it... how much they enforce that rule I dont know.

There is a decent bank fishing access with gravel lot and a short trail on the opposite side of the bridge and road from the ramps. Also one off of Highway 98 right by the bridge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to live in wake forest and just under the dam you can catch just about anything.... Take the trail a bit further down just before the bridge and you can tear up the plan fish... White bass off the rocks..... Banks for catfish and there are sizable gar in there also. I've even seen people wading and fly fishing and killing the bass in the middle

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. We ended up going to a PFA off 98. I had forgotten about weekend boat traffic on Falls.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Rollingview recreation area at Falls also has one or two fishing piers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts