NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at a pond I have access too I caught bass, crappie, bream, and a channel cat all on a Beetle Spin both pink head chart body and white head clear silver fleck body.

Is there a fish this lure wont catch?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I don't want to hear about it... Right now, I'm at atleast 10 hours casting one without any luck. :(

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Growing up, from about age 6 to 13, I fished either a catalpa pattern beetle spin or a white rooster tail with black spots about 95% of the time. I probably caught more fish per hour than I do now. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to hear about it... Right now, I'm at atleast 10 hours casting one without any luck. :(
Len I find it works best with some wind. I cant explain it but yesterday while the pond was flat they wouldnt bite bit when tje wind would gust and ripple the surface of the water i would catch on crappie after another on consecutive casts. When the wind would dies down i would toss out a cricket and wait for the next gust.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've had this happen with rain. When it was rainging I caught fish. Rain stopped - no fish. Rain starts fish on again. Strange!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I've had this happen with rain. When it was rainging I caught fish. Rain stopped - no fish. Rain starts fish on again. Strange!
Many years ago when I was in CO, I friend and I drove down to Elephant Butte Res in NM for the spring White Bass run. We rented a boat 2 days in a row at a marina. The first day it was lightly raining and the guy doing the rentals looked up and smiled "It's going to be a great day. They bite like **** when it's raining". The second day was bluebird; same guy, same smile and same line except ending in "when the sun's out."... :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
this is just my speculation. If your lure isnt getting attention in smooth waters your color or presentation is wrong. Clear view, no bite. Blurred view from rain or water ripples, bite, because the fish cant see as clearly and is more motivated to strike at movement rather than color and presentation. It is also possible that wind and rain signals fish to feed more aggressively because possible bad conditions may force them to lie dormant for days while conditions improve. Just like "fishing is always better the day before a front moves through" ( just specualtion, trying to think "like a fish")

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
this is just my speculation. If your lure isnt getting attention in smooth waters your color or presentation is wrong. Clear view, no bite. Blurred view from rain or water ripples, bite, because the fish cant see as clearly and is more motivated to strike at movement rather than color and presentation. It is also possible that wind and rain signals fish to feed more aggressively because possible bad conditions may force them to lie dormant for days while conditions improve. Just like "fishing is always better the day before a front moves through" ( just specualtion, trying to think "like a fish")
I agree with this...to add: it has been noted that bigger lures have gotten less bites in clear conditions due to their size and ease of identification as a fraud. This could hint to why some of the smaller more universal lures get more hits overall due to their smaller size....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I agree with this...to add: it has been noted that bigger lures have gotten less bites in clear conditions due to their size and ease of identification as a fraud. This could hint to why some of the smaller more universal lures get more hits overall due to their smaller size....
I was reading a post about cobia fishing around JAX, FL and one poster was talking about a place it was good but he didn't like fishing there because sharks tended to bump the kayak in the murky water (no pucker factor there :eek:). I don't think there was any attack intent but in clearer water they could probably tell it wasn't a floating carcass without having to nudge it. I should get a tangent award; I just made a relevant comment about sharks in a beetle spin thread... :D :rolleyes:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I do that. NO kidding my Mom has done that my whole life and she taught me to fish.. LOL! Seriously though some scent helps.. Growing up fishing with the folks,we would eat sardines on the boat and dip the bailts in the oil.
Did you spit on it before you used it? Sometimes this will work. The Beetle Spin is an awesome lure. Keep fishing with it and you'll find out.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Len I find it works best with some wind. I cant explain it but yesterday while the pond was flat they wouldnt bite bit when tje wind would gust and ripple the surface of the water i would catch on crappie after another on consecutive casts. When the wind would dies down i would toss out a cricket and wait for the next gust.
I read something about this that made a lot of sense. When the wind disturbs the surface of the water the ripples scatter the light. This effect makes the flash from the blade look more natural, which plays a big factor in getting neutral fish to bite. If they are fired up you can get them to hit just about anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts