NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm stationed on Camp lejeune and I've gotten very interested in fly fishing. I'd really love to start but have no idea where I can go around Jacksonville where I'll have enough room to learn how to throw a fly. I have no idea what kind of fly to throw or line or rod to get. Completely lost folks. Any tips and locations would help a lot!

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are several places in the river where it's shallow enough to wade out. The area around French Creek, adjacent to 6th Mar, and Hadnot Point might be most convenient for you. When the weather warms you'll want to make sure that you can see the bottom. If you don't want to wade out, you could use any of several piers around Lejeune (you can see them on Google maps).

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I am not familiar with the Jacksonville area as far as fishing goes. There is a fly shop on Atlantic Beach, and another at the Great Outdoor in Greenville. If you have a boat the New Bern area can be good. I fish Brices Creek some, and have done fairly goo there. Last time I went, I was spin fishing with live bait and did nothing, but switched to my fly rod the last hour I was there, and lost 2 fish, and caught 2 raccoon perch on a Crappie Candy fly. Wish I had been fly fishing the entire time.
Are you bank fishing or have a boat?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Eastern Outfitters (the one on 258) does have fly equipment, but not much. If you have time stop by and see Jr after work. He won't be there this evening and is usually off on Wednesdays, but he can point you in the right direction as far as equipment goes.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Steve,

To add to this, there is a local fly fishing club in the Morehead City area called the Cape Lookout Fly Fishers that is worth checking out. http://capelookoutflyfishers.com/ I normally offer paid private fly casting lessons, but myself and a bunch of others will be offering free casting lessons on Feb. 28th at the CLFF casting clinic in Morehead City.

If you have any type of military disability rating, we have a Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing group that meets twice a month in Swansboro and we do local fly fishing outings each month. We've got some real cool members and we always have a good time. https://www.facebook.com/CrystalCoastPHWFF?ref=hl

I've been fly fishing this area for about 10 years now and I'd be more that happy to fill you in and answer any questions about equipment, shops, general fishing locations, flies, techniques, etc. There's so much to cover that it would be tough via email, feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

John
910-340-4811

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not familiar with the Jacksonville area as far as fishing goes. There is a fly shop on Atlantic Beach, and another at the Great Outdoor in Greenville. If you have a boat the New Bern area can be good. I fish Brices Creek some, and have done fairly goo there. Last time I went, I was spin fishing with live bait and did nothing, but switched to my fly rod the last hour I was there, and lost 2 fish, and caught 2 raccoon perch on a Crappie Candy fly. Wish I had been fly fishing the entire time.
Are you bank fishing or have a boat?
From bank, I do have waders I can throw on too

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You need a yak or rent something from Rec Services. Lots of options in your area to fish. Lejeune and New River AS have a lot of places you can get to practice casting. Also check out the ponds on base. The roll cast is your friend on some of those waters.

You tube has a lot of videos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.