NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I would imagine that it would be worth taking the boat regardless, this time of year at Belews. Historically the spawn is in full swing by now there, and some of the fish may have already transitioned to post-spawn patterns but you're likely to find them about as shallow as they get on that lake right now. Water temps should be about right, and other than the cold front conditions for Saturday I would think it would be a pretty day on the water. I would expect some boat traffic.

I have not been there since early February this year, so I'm going on what it's done in the last few seasons.

Good luck, let us know how you do!

Reactions: JBassAssassin

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I have not been out there since February so I don't have my finger on the pulse of Belews lately. I'd guess they are likely late spawn to post-spawn now, and if I had to guess I would be looking for steep banks near the entrances to pockets, or points outside pockets. Move around and look for bait, if you find an area with lots of sonar activity and/or bait, start working lipless cranks, cranks, carolina rigs, and definitely umbrella rigs. My favorite A-rig out there is the Flash Mob Jr. If it's cloudy and you see surface activity, twitch baits like X-raps in XR-6 or XR-8 size are good in semi-transluscent colors or glass ghost. Use natural colors like green pumpkin, watermelon seed for plastics (locals claim june bug is a good color as well), and shad type colors for cranks like sexy shad, citrus shad. Jerk baits on the points were working well over Winter but I have no idea if that's still effective now.

Good luck, wish I could help more!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.