NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little late turning in this report but here it is. I had some friends come in to town to visit last week. On Friday the 13th, we were going to go to Belews Lake to Tube/Ski. Turned out the weather wasn't very good for that, so we ended up fishing instead.
We had gone to a marina for lunch and had some left over Hush Puppies. My friend put one on his hook just to see what would happen. We ended up catching 13 Catfish in about 1.5 hours from around 3:00PM-4:30PM, mostly on those hush puppies. They seemed to really be attracted to them. I couldn't resist reporting this due to the sheer irony of the story. When you go to a restaurant and order catfish, what do they normally serve with the fish? Hush Puppies! In any case, it was a good day for catfishin' at Belews Lake on that rainy/overcast day last week.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Cornmeal, buttermilk with a touch of sugar and onion powder makes a fine catfish bait. And a right tasty sidedish...LOL

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Precook your hushpuppies and take half to the lake and catch the rest of the meal. I'll have to try that some time when I know some good showers are gonna pop up. just plain loaf bread will catch plenty though. Lots of people living on the lakes feed fish loaf bread from their docks.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I found mesh material at Wally World that I use with homemade doughs to keep them on treble hooks. Pantyhose pieces work too..but a mesh lets the bait crumble a bit more and give off its own "chum"...

Reactions: wolfpackcpa
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.