NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to this site and i see a lot of good info.do any of you fish belews lake for crappie.if so where are some good spots on the lake for them?thanks for any help.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome Gman!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Gman, I fish Belews a lot for largemouth and channel cats. I've been fishing there over 10 years and have NEVER caught crappie there. Probably because I don't target them, but I've never heard a lot of hype about the crappie on the lake.

I have some friends who live between the 65 and 158 bridges who have caught some off of their dock and I would think if you continued under the 158 bridge back to what we call the coldwater you could find some too.

Another place might be what my friends and I have always called the S-turns back near the public ramp off of 65. There are some nice rock cliffs where you may be able to find some suspended, but I always see a lot of people fishing there.

Do you fish Belews often? If so, I may not be helping much but I thought I'd offer what I knew. I generally fish around the side of the lake where the power plant is and around Carolina Marina. If you like bass fishing, there are some good points, flats, and drop offs that are very easy to see now that the water is so low, so pay attention now because they are great spots when the water is high. We fished all day two Saturdays ago and did not see but 1 other boat.

It definitely pays to use a fish finder there, and live shiners are the deal. If they are lively, you can always catch big bass, and the channel cats will always take care of the ones that die. They are pretty out there too.
It is so clear and you can see BIG bass cruise the banks all year, but usually if you've seen them, you can forget about catching them unless you are very sneaky.

If I'm not telling you anything new please disregard, and pass some tips my way! I broke my femur out there in August wakeboarding, so now I have a titanium rod through my leg. Belews is a special place for me if you know what I mean.

Good luck and let me know how the crappie bite is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey buddy.
the fishing at belews is tough for crappie. They are pretty stunted. Not enough forage for them. I.E. shad. Even if you find them, which will take some time, you probably will only catch a few. It`s a tough lake to fish. But very picturesque. Try fishing in the middle channels for suspended crappies. They are there. But the fish of choice for productivity is channel cats. Have fun and good luck.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a community driven stocking program is in order...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.