NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met Jerry before dawn and we rode up to Belews. Jerry was hoping to catch a spotted bass just to check it off his list.

Launched around first light
Water temps in the section not as affected by the discharge (Piney Bluff above the bridge) were low 50's range.
Water temps on the main lake ranged from high 50's distant from the discharge to 62 at the hot hole.
Clear sky, a little breezy with occasional main lake white caps / chop and other periods with light breeze.

Started at the spot where I left them biting last weekend, and by some luck there was a school feeding there. Started out with zara puppy and xrap. Really thought it was going to be another fast-paced day when I hooked up on a double - two fish on the same plug, one on each treble. Didn't get a picture, just wanted to get them back in the water and get the bait back in; you never know how long these situations will last or when the fish will go back down. I managed to catch 3, and Jerry caught one in that first hour and a half. I got one spotted bass, but his was a largemouth. Didn't grab a pic of his. This one looks bigger in the picture, it was a keeper but probably not even 2lbs.

Sky Fisherman Fin Outdoor recreation Fish

It slowed down a lot after that. The next area (where it was hot last weekend) had a few feeding fish but they were harder to get to bite. I managed one there, and then it went a little cold for a while. Checked some other areas, some new ones, some that I had history with, but nothing really seemed to be happening at those. Variety of deeper laydowns, some points, rocky pockets, main lake stuff as well as creek arms.

Ended up going back to some of the areas we had been in the morning and picked up a couple more. One was on a shakey head trick worm, the rest were on twitch baits. Not much topwater after the morning bite - I blame the high bluebird sun. :rolleyes:

Smile Sky Vertebrate Goggles Water

Ended the day with 9 total, not necessarily stellar but certainly not bad day for late November or for Belews. Jerry got two to the boat and missed a couple more, and I think I ended with 7. I had a little advantage as I was already rigged with smaller lines and had my preferred baits already tied on from the last trip, and I think logistics of that slowed Jerry down a bit. He seemed disappointed overall, but I have certainly been in that situation where the fish just don't cooperate like I thought they should!

After the initial surface bite, we had to work for the fish, but we managed to get close to the double digit mark. Pretty day, good day of fishing and nice to be outside enjoying God's creation.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
It was fun,, anyway. Better than sitting around doing nothing. Disappointed I didn't get a spot, and next time I will be better prepared for that ultra clear water.
Sam, the one bird we saw was a horned grebe, and the ducks were blue wing teal. Looked them up.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok, I didn't realize there was a blue wing teal. I had heard of a red wing teal I think. Was fun.

There may be a better knot for tying flouro to mono but the knot I showed you was the double-uni. There are tutorials online; that was how I learned to tie it. Like anything, after a little practice it gets faster. Saves me from respooling reels; I just tie a long leader for my purpose. I was using 8lb flouro on that xrap, just have to check it often for wear and keep the drag loose.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There are Green, Red, and Blue wing teal and outside of woodies they are the finest eating ducks in the air. Problem is they fly at about mach 32.

Good fishing guys! Belews is a neat place definately.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Looks like a good day to me compared to my experiences on Belews. I will be there New Years day trying to capture my 3rd "Dead Sea Rally".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.