NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know what would be the best boat for me. i will do a lot of flounder gigging and a lot of fishing inshore but i plan to do some king fishing, what would be the best boat for that criteria. i would prefer something with an evinrude or johnson.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Byrdman, try a prowler !5' sit on top kayak. It will do all the things you mentioned without the motor. In fact you could buy 4 or 5 and save enough money each year on fuel and other expenses to make payments on a nice yacht. Not to mention you will get much more out of it. Seriously, rent one for a weekend before you buy anything. You might just become a kayaker.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Byrdman17---You may want to look at one of the skimmer boats. You are looking at two extremes here from gigging to king fishing. Skimmers will float in less than a foot of water and I have seen them offshore, YOU WILL HAVE TO PICK YOUR DAYS to king fish for your safety. Four stroke engines are the way to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I HAVE A BAY RIDER, BY KEN CRAFT. THEY ARE MADE HERE IN NC. THEY ARE A FLAT BOTTOM BOAT BUT VERY HEAVY AND WIDE. I LOVE IT FOR INSHORE FISHING AND IT IS 20 FT. SO YOU CAN GO OFF SHORE ON CALM DAYS. ANYWAY, YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO GO OFF SHORE ON A ROUGH DAY EVEN IN A BIG BOAT. I HAVE A 115 JOHNSON AND AN IMPRESSED WTH THE POWER (2 stroke). GOOD LUCK, I SHOPPED AROUND FOR A LONG TIME....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey there Byrdman17

Looking for a boat huh, I was just thinking. . .What price range are we talking about? Do you want something so versitle that won't break your budget. Well if I were you and I had the money I would buy a Scout 17.5. They are high but well worth it. Not because I have one either but because they will do lots of different jobs. The boat has great room for a 17' and handles like a dream even in rough water. I have been in small local King tournaments. I have been 15 miles out in her (but listen always go with somebody in another boat if you do that, and do what everybody has told you watch your days out there doing so) Been way back in the shallows with her and more. Her Draft is 9" motor up. Has a Vee hull. Won't break the bank unless you buy her new. Shockingly dry. Buy used anytime you get a chance. Just make sure you can get good(evenly proportional psi)compression across all cylinders and a good mechanic says its in good shape. Don't just take my word for it JD Power and Associates says so and I am sure Seabiscuit will share with you that there are tons of these boats in Morehead, Wilmington, Southport, Charleston.

Here is the link and go to press releases.

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/boats/ratings/coastal_fishing/index.jsp

There is another boat that is cheaper but solid as a rock is Key West. I don't recomend boats that I don't know. But remember you get what you pay for. I you need to ask me some questions sometime feel free to shoot me an email and I will give you my cell number and you can ask all the questions you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.