NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread about sunglasses for fishing. What is the best sunglasses purchase you've made and why? Maybe we'll add some of the responses to the Reviews section too. Thanks for your input. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had horrible eye sight since I was 5 years old. Terrible, could not read the largest letter on the eye chart, and add in Astigmatism to boot, so bad eyesight and bad balance. About 5 years ago I decided to do the laser surgery thing. Had a lot of problems with that but still worth the money. Decided, since I'd spent so much on my eyes, I'd research and find the best sunglasses I could that were "reasonably" priced. Mind you, I no longer need glasses so the price of my glasses can now go into my shades. I've now had these for the past 5 years and love them!

Maui Jim Sport Waimea Bay - lightweight frame so you hardly notice you're wearing them, channeled rubber nose pads to reduce slippage, polycarbonate polarizedplus lenses to not only stay shatterproof but to boost colors, reduce glare, and makes seeing through water really great. Anti-reflective, multi-layered, bi-gradient to reduce the need to squint from overhead or reflective glare, 100% UV blockage up to 400nm, blue light and infrared effective, saltwater safe, and meet or exceed drop ball and transmittance standards.

You can see them at Maui Jim - Catalog

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a pair of Maui Jim's (MJ402-10) and love them too. Someone sat on them in the truck apparently as I found them broken. I contacted the folks at Maui Jim and they sent a new pair free of charge after I sent the broken ones in. Great support! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, guess I should contact them, my left nose piece keeps coming off and no superglue known to man will hold it. I hate to lose these as they are by far the best pair I've ever owned, well worth the money (was $250 and I had a $100 off coupon!).

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Best pair I had was the ones that flew off my face offshore last year... I had some polorized Ray's and "fwooop" into the drink....:(

Now I use them cheap sunglasses by Bill Dance,, them $6 Wally specials...

For some reason, boats and attachments if not nailed down love to take flight.....

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I have a pair of Solarbat polarized glasses. The wrap style sunglasses have been popular because they reduce light entering from the side but they have to be able to allow some air to pass between the glass and your face to prevent fogging. The Solarbat glasses are designed by an Optometrist who is alsoa seriuos fisherman. They are lightweight sunglasses that have curved lenses and are designed to be optically correct. Here's a link to there website; SolarBat - Now I Can Fly In The Sun! . I've been very pleased with my Solarbat glasses and I make sure that they the next thing that I have on any fishing trip after my rods.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Anyone ever use the polarized ones that fit over your glasses? I'm unable to wear contacts and these would be handy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have, like Dave, had many a pair end up with Davey Jones.:eek: Expensive pair of Ray's at the bottom of the Chesapeake, another pair of them in Kerr Lake while gettin in a catfish:mad:, and many pair left behind cause I put them down and had my mind on other things.:confused: I use the Flying Fisherman glasses and really find them to be light, comfortable, and good at cutting glare. I just find it hard to justify high dollar glasses when I could use the money on more tackle. The Monkey does come around my house too.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a pair of Costa Del Mars that I have had for a little over two years now. They are still as good as the day I bought them, been through saltwater, freshwater, sat on, dropped, you name it they have taken it. Costas can be a bit pricey but a good pair of glasses are just as important as the rod or reel your catching the fish on. They can also make or break a hook up.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I bought a pair of "clip ons" from my glasses place about 5 yrs ago and they work very well. They fit snuggly on my frames and have good polarization and non glare (as do my prescription lenses) and they are glass so they haven't scratched. I would like something with prescription lenses but because of my eyes I have to have prism/anti glare/polarization and a funky imbalance from r/l so I have to use plastic lenses and just lenses can be $350 not to mention frames so one pair of regular ones is all I can swing!! I just got new glasses 2 weeks ago.. $575 + testing $92 OUCH!!! Luckily the old clip ons still fit the new ones!!

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
When sight casting or even looking for bait, there's no tool more important than a good pair of properly fitting sun glasses in my opinion. For fishing I highly recommend a pair that wrap around the sides and fit snuggly. When staring into the water, blocking out all the white light is important.

I had a few pairs of good brands over the years with decent results. But then I tried a pair of Costa Del Mar Hammerheads - man what a difference. Best sun glasses I ever wore! They aren't cheap by the time you get them fitted with prescription lenses but for me they were worth the money.

Whatever brand you buy, if you are using them for looking "through" the water (sight casting, navigation, bait hunting, etc), you'll want a pair that fit snug and allow no white light to come in around the edges. Keep trying them on till you find a pair that fit snugly.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
While we're on the topic, let me pose this question.

Do great glasses help you see more stuff under the water than just "plain" polarized glasses?

Mike -- would better glasses have helped me see the reds everyone else was hooking up, that day on the shoal?

I can tell the polarization feature on my glasses is working - I can see the closest layer of debris in the lake at Bond Lake...

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
While we're on the topic, let me pose this question.

Do great glasses help you see more stuff under the water than just "plain" polarized glasses?

Mike -- would better glasses have helped me see the reds everyone else was hooking up, that day on the shoal?

I can tell the polarization feature on my glasses is working - I can see the closest layer of debris in the lake at Bond Lake...
Kevin - not sure if you would have or not, in kicked up water like that you are mainly looking for spots, not sure if you were seeing them or not. Some of that comes from experience in interpreting what you see. The angle of the sun comes into play too, especially with white light "noise". Do your glasses allow light in on the sides?

Polarization and UV reflections are important in sun glasses. Just remember not all polarized lenses are created equal. Just like some stainless steel is better than others, some polarized lenses are better than others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked at the web sites of two other brands Revo which I had to somebody made off with them and Maui Jim. I could not find where they put a anti-reflective layer on the back( face side) like the Costa Del Mar does. That extra layer helps alot in blocking reflected light in to the eye.

Now they my have it??? I might have missed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
there are so many different lenses for different situations - amber for cloudy days - blue mirror for off shore sunny days - green for inshore - well that is what the manufacturer says - I have the costa blur mirrors and regular gray polorized - both were presents as I cannot afford such things - now if I made my living outdoors I would surely make sure I spared no cost for eye protection - I also have a pair of sea striker polorized glasses that seem to do a fine job as well and I have only $19.95 invested in them - about $170 cheaper than the costa blue mirrors

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.