NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

Okay, I admit it. I am fairly convinced that I'm invincible. I'm that guy that goes out on his boat and eschews life jackets. I hate 'em. I'm a shirtless cowboy and I dance on the decks of my boat like an acrobat, contorting myself to avoid screaming flies while holding myself at impossible angles over the gunnels and keeping my center of gravity just shy of a plunge. I leap like a gazelle from bow to stern at speeds that would awe the casual observer.

At least in my own head.

The reality is that I'm an aging father of four who can no longer justify taking the risk of an unexpected slip and the wrong kind of fall into the wrong kind of situation into the water. Some recent posts on here have shamed me.

It's probably time for me to start wearing a life jacket. I really REALLY hate wearing them. I've been looking at the inflatables, but haven't pulled the trigger because they are expensive, and I won't wear it if it's not comfortable, and I won't buy it twice.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have a Mustang T100 Manual. I am surprised at it's stealth. I hardly notice it anymore. I picked up a manual because I use it in my kayak. Dump outs will happen at slow speed and maybe shallow water. I figure I will be conscious enough to pull the cord if need be. Before my regular PFD was sitting right behind my seat.

I have not gotten to the point of wearing one on the lake in the boat. I have plenty on board though.

As for the moisture thing. My understanding is that if you store the auto inflate wet or leave them in a wet environment they can go off on their own. Like inside your kayak or in a tote bag. Mine came with a partial mesh bag for storage.

I should acquire a recharge kit for it just in case I need to set it off. It will be useless till a recharge kit is installed. Something else for the kayak dry bag.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
this is something I should look into also, especially in the hot weather I don't wear mine unless in motion on plane and honestly, not much then.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Like the way you're thinking about this, Greenmonster. Gotta make sure as best you can that you get home safely if only to ensure your family is protected & secure. I bought the Cabela's Tournament 3500 Auto PFD (sometimes) on sale for $99 -- it's normally ca. $150. I would recommend you just bite the bullet and purchase a re-arm kit (normally $27, on sale now for $22) with it so that just won't be an issue. I find it so comfortable that I wear it all day and every day i'm on the water. FWIW // joel

Update: this version of that PFD is on sale for $120.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an Oynx A/M 24. I did research and found there are 3 types of auto inflation system. Mine inflates from submersion not rain. Check it out and determine which system is right for what you will use it for. Make sure your choice of vest is USCG approved(not all are). The one thing I didnt like about most of the ones available was lack of a crotch strap. Something that will help keep an unconscious body from slipping out of it since the waist strap tends to go across my big belly instead of under it. I sewed a 1" webbing strap and buckle onto the vest straps. I dont keep that one tight but it will prevent me from falling out the bottom of the vest in a worst case scenario.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.