NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried out a spot pgarick recommended and it was AWESOME. Water temps were about 77ish in there and all fish were caught on topwater. We caught a couple blue fish, two trout one of which was 4 lbs! (sorry didn't measure length, just put it on ice), and one amazing over slot red drum at 8 lbs!!! And we only fished from roughly 630 to about 10am!

This was only the second red I've ever caught, and the first was a short caught on one of my MH action bass rods so not a fair fight for the little guy, so it was an exciting battle to say the least. She absolutely CRUSHED my super spook jr. and the fight was on. She started towards the boat without too much fight, but when she got close, she dove to the bottom and worked her way all the way around the boat and out the other side. I had to lift my rod over another one in a holder up on the poling platform and was terrified the line would cut on the prop, but thankfully it cleared it. Once she hit the other side of the boat, she took off on about 5 different runs stripping drag like it was hardly slowing her down. Every time I thought she was tired, when she got close to the boat she took off again with more of my line. Finally landed her in a net that seemed a bit inadequate at the time but ShawnB got the job done like a pro. You couldn't even see my spook jr. as she had inhaled it down to her crushers on the strike! I had a grin on my face for the rest of the day. Sorry to report I don't have a picture of that 4lb trout, Shawn has that on his phone, and we didn't take any pics of the blues.
Water Smile Vertebrate Lake Fish
Smile Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Fin

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I gave a half hearted effort for a flounder, but didn't have any luck. Storm was blowing in so we decided to head out rather than take our chances. Don't really know what to use to target flounder either, I guess I'll have to search the forum.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I see you have already learned to not give away your location as well! When catching in high traffic locations you will also have to learn the "I don't really have a fish on my line" pose.

Flounder-creek mouths on falling tides especially if there is a nice hole there, channels, along grass lines, ledges, around some docks and lots of time in the same places you targeting the reds. Finger mullet or other live bait on carolina rig drug along the bottom, the same baits on floats in skinny water, or hopping your favorite soft plastic on a jighead or weedless hook in these same areas.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see you have already learned to not give away your location as well! When catching in high traffic locations you will also have to learn the "I don't really have a fish on my line" pose.

Flounder-creek mouths on falling tides especially if there is a nice hole there, channels, along grass lines, ledges, around some docks and lots of time in the same places you targeting the reds. Finger mullet or other live bait on carolina rig drug along the bottom, the same baits on floats in skinny water, or hopping your favorite soft plastic on a jighead or weedless hook in these same areas.
Aha, the "I don't really have a fish on my line" pose, is a new one for me. Could you send me a picture of that? I did a google search and came up with some 'interesting' pictures (go ahead and search it word for word), but I don't think google really understands fishing. I am aware of the bent pole search method, used for finding productive fishing spots when yours aren't working out. I don't personally use this one, but I think the two techniques are related, no?

Thanks for the comments on the flounder, do you use any type of spinner on your c-rig when targeting flounder? I have been reading the googles about flounder so now I'm pretty much an expert, you know, thinking about using spinners and stuff.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and how about the "I'm going to park right next to you and start fishing" technique? Apparently used for ticking people off, hoping they'll leave without a fuss. I highly discourage this one as it can be dangerous.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a guy come up when I was jigging some bottom in the ocean a few weeks ago. He had an AJ and fat Albert in the boat but he was coming to get my GPS number. Sneaky sneaky
I need to invent a GPS scrambler just for that occasion so their GPS will take them to the Bermuda triangle when they try to return to your spot. How close did he get? Within heavy plug casting distance?:mad:

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Hopefully next time I'm posting a pic of a PIG like the one on your lap in your avatar pic, Geesh that thing is big!
My regular fishing partner is from Raeford. I retired off Bragg in 92' and lived in the Rockfish area. Won't be long and you will start seeing guys chase these bull reds around the lower Neuse River area from Minnesott Beach area down to the other side of Oriental.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My regular fishing partner is from Raeford. I retired off Bragg in 92' and lived in the Rockfish area. Won't be long and you will start seeing guys chase these bull reds around the lower Neuse River area from Minnesott Beach area down to the other side of Oriental.
Pretty much exactly where I live now. I haven't had the pleasure of fishing the Neuse yet, it sounds like there is some excellent fishing up there. I am a little apprehensive about going out there with my boat only being 15'6", lightweight with a flat bottom. The area is HUGE, so I feel like I'd really need to spend some time planning a route around a small area to start with and of course I have no idea at all where to start. My boat is great for the back water areas, not so sure about a space as big as the Neuse, but it'll be hard not to venture out there when the big bull reds start showing up. Just got my boat in April, is it too soon to start planning for my next boat?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.