NC Angler Forums banner

Best kayak length for Jordan Lake?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  EvBlue 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice. I am in the final stages of my kayak research. The kayak will be used exclusively for fishing on Jordan Lake, and probably not making long trips (staying within .5-1 mile). I am torn between getting something reasonably small, like a Tarpon 100, all the way up to a 14' Native Manta Ray. I'd rather get the small kayak, but am not sure how it would handle in Jordan.

Can anyway please share their experience? I am still new at this, and will probably only have one shot in the next few years to purchase a kayak. Thank you!!!

#6 ·
For your stated purpose almost anything will work. 12' is probably the best all-around length. Shorter can be lighter and easier to transport and store, longer will track better and be a bit faster. I'd personally go with the Ride over the Tarpon in the shorter lengths.

#8 ·
i got the the advice from Darrel that length is relative. However longer are more stable and the shorter the more mobile. 12 foot can do almost everything.

#10 ·
Agger, Some of the least stable boats you can get are really long, like the 20' surfski racers. So there is more to it - width and hull shape are what really give you stability. There are a few wide 10' yaks and even a couple of 8' ones people stand in.

spork2d makes a good point. Thinking does tend to change if you enjoy paddling and I think there is a good chance you will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.