NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going king fishing tomorrow and would like to know what the best baits right now would be if I can't get my hands on some pogies. What artificial or dead baits will do the trick. Tight lines - Crappie89

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
for artificial, you can try a 5 inch Yozuri black/purple bonita lure or a Williamson spanish mack rubber bait. With the williamson though, I'd put on a med/heav troll sinker ahead of it or run it off a down rigger/planer. Yozuri.. just toss it in the water and 6-7 mph is the trick over structure... both baits work good especially if it's "bumpy" seas out.

Dont overlook pinfish for kings as well... live pinfish will flat get tore up by some kings! ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you want to stick with live bait, try some blues. they are plentiful right now and they will definitely get the attention of a king. You may need to upsize your hooks and stinger length though.

The Yo-zuri deep divers work well too. I recommend putting a wire leader on them though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Didn't even consider artificials - tunnel vision.

If it just to catch em, and not looking for big ones, it sure is hard to beat a drone spoon behind a planer....

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out today and did pretty good. It was pretty chilliy this morning but it ended up being an awesome day on the water. Got one king in the 18-20 lbs range and abunch of very good sized spanish and blues. Caught the king on a live pogie fished on the surface, and the spanish went for clarks and yo-zuri's. Ended up with 1 king, 12 spanish, and 3 good sized blues and about the worlds largest PD (lizard fish) I have ever seen. Got some pics coming soon. The water temp has dropped pretty good with this cooler weather moving through the area.

ALL the fish were caught within a mile of the shore. Beautiful day to say the least.

It was the first time in a long time I had been fishing in October because in the past I have been occupied with football. I had forgotten how exciting fall fishing can be. Just seeing birds hit the water and a blitz of fish is exciting enough on it's own. It was so exciting I ended up fishing from 6-6 and boy I got fried. Tight lines and good luck to anybody going deer hunting or fishing tommorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.