NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any lakes or rivers that is guaranteed to catch a few fish a day? Ive tried a few different places and no luck. Ive tried the yadkin river by donnaha for the last year and have never gotten a bite. I want to go somewhere I can spend a day or weekend and actually catch fish..any fish..any advice? I am in the King/stokes county area but will travel where ever the fish are biting.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
what baits are you using?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Just my humble opinion, but I think your question is a bit too general to be accurately answered. I could guarantee you'll see fish, but if you're throwing a five pound polish sausage with a size 1 treble hook buried in there, I can almost certainly guarantee you won't catch any of them. What is your target species? What have you been using to target that or those species? Are you fishing from the bank? There are plenty of guys on here that are willing to help, but I think you'll need to give them just a little more information to go on. Check the reports section for freshwater to see what is biting at which body of water, there are usually bait types and colors that are working in those reports too. Best of luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
we caught 34 LMB, 6 white bass an a nice channel cat at Hyco lake yesterday. caught over 150 crappie with half bein keepers at Buggs Isand Lake day for yesterday. Caught 15 LMB at Lake Reidville Sat with 3 over 4 lbs! me thinks they bitin every where! Goin to Philpott this wk to catch some walleye, and I don't guarantee that we will catch them but I would not bet against me! I usually get skunked a couple times each yr, but thats out of the 300 days I usually fish each yr...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to the site, Fishlover. Just pay attention to the tips and posts on this site and your head will explode with all the knowledge and advice. Looks like you live in an area with great opportunities ranging from the Dan to the New. I'm not a live bait person but you should be able to catch something drowning worms or crickets. For artificial, tie on a Rapala 3s or 5s minnow on 6-8 lb test and start counting fish. Oh, and have you ever heard of a Zoom Ultravibe Speedcraw in Pumpkin????

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Like everyone says... It all depends what you are fishing for, and the methods you use.

I can NOT catch anything in moving water... So the Yadkin at Donnaha or anywhere else is out for me.

If you want to catch bream/panfish... Put on a worm or a cricket, and throw it out with a bobber, and wait. If you want places, try the park lake dam in Lake Norman State park. Always some bream there below the dam. Not big, but they are there.

The ponds in mayo river state park are full of bream and channel catfish that will bite the same.

I found it's a lot easier to catch bass with lures than live bait. A senko on a worm hook, fished slowly with occasional light jerks produces several fish an hour for me from the bank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im sorry for just responding. For some reason I couldnt find my post before. I want t catch whatever I can. I have tried for bass and catfish. I have used chicken livers, the little night crawler things, differnt kinds of tackle like spinners, i cant rememeber what else.
lucky doug, what part of the yadkin and how do i get there? i usually go under the bridge at donaha dont know how to manuever with no boat :(. Ive bene trying differnet stradegies when my others have failed but im still failing :(. Ill be trying the mayo river next weekend..any thoughts of that one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.