NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out around 7:15. Nothing doing at first spot but I saw a comm netter pulling his net and paddled that way to see what he was fishing for. He left before I got there but I got a few large men Haden he had discarded. I headed to a few other spots but the wind was picking up and it wasn't looking like a fun day to fish. After about 1-1/2 hours I went to the original spot which was on my way in. I set a stake pole, put a chunk of menhaden on a hook and threw top water without a sniff. Now it was raining full time and the wind was starting to blow hard. I reeled in the top water and was about to stow the rod with the chunk on it. When I reached for it I could see the line was moving so I set the hook in fish #1. I replaced the bait hook with a 3/32oz weighted worm hook and put on a glitter green super fluke. Second cast gave me #2. Several throws later I saw some nice swirls and went back to top water. I had died and gone to heaven except I think heaven probably has better weather. I got a total of eleven super nice reds and not a single one under 21" except one with no tail and even that one was 19". One of the drum had half it's mouth destroyed but healed over. I guess a bad lip grip job? I also got my largest to date. A 28" fish with huge shoulders and it was a Mule to reel in. I also lost two fish the we're hooked up and was blown up about 6 other times. At one point I had a fish on four consecutive casts. They were just stacked up on this oyster bar. I left them still biting because I was drenched and the wind was at least 25 with steady heavy rain.

First fish and maybe a breaking of the ice for better swim/bottom bait skills?

28" brute

No tail.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lord knows I've had my share of slow and no days.
The tail was bitten off pretty far up. It looked to have been done a long time ago. The one with the butchered mouth was more concerning but???
I had no problem with the rain like most. The wind on the other hand finally got to be impossible. They are so stacked up in this area right now. I wish I knew why they are there now and not 1 or two weeks ago? I'd love to know what makes them move to certain areas. Maybe it's just the water getting a little cooler.
I'm sort of uplifted that I finally got one on a super fluke too. Working soft baits for drum has felt like eating with chopsticks for me.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. In truth anyone can catch fish when they are stacked up like they were today. I'd like to learn to catch them when they aren't so dense and know where to prospect efficiently. Believe me today was awesome for me. Others probably have days like this quite often but not me. Not for Reds anyway.
Always looking to improve my chances of bringing one to the pan every trip. I was skunked two out of five trips prior to today and I despise coming back without a fish. It really makes me feel like a lousy fisherman when I do.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a big one. Real bronze color. Awesome. I should have tried a spoon but it's hard to switch when something is working plus I've already lost a Rapala suspending twitch bait and a couple of jigs to the oysters and a gold spoon may have gotten snagged too?
Obviously you got wet but did you have much wind? I couldn't handle the 1' chop in my kayak. Even situated straight into it the water was splashing all over. Each picture I took made me think getting a separate camera would be a good idea. It's just so easy using the phone and I wouldn't know what camera to get anyway.
All the fish I could catch AND perfect weather? Definitely asking for too much. I'll take rain and unlimited fish over good weather and the usual 0-2 fish. That's just me though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice reds!! I'm going down this weekend to Oak Island and I really hope I can get into some fish like that. I'm new to salt and like you said Challenger it's tough a lot of the time, for me anyway, cause more times than not I'm going home with little to show for a 12-14 hr day on the water, try as I might. I'm hungry to learn all I can about reds, flounder, and trout. How they stage up, move with the tide, and the many different baits everything from live or cut baits to soft plastics to mirrolures, etc. I got the bug and want to learn it, but also know it takes time on the water and living in central NC and only able to get to OKI about 1 time a month that makes it tougher. Anyway, Great Job Man!! Keep those lines Tight!!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yessir. Practice makes perfect. I went out today despite the gloomy weather and threatening rain. Not a sign of any drum. Didn't get so much as a sniff! How can this be? I can understand a dwindling and then disappearance the but from fish on nearly every cast to nothing? Like someone threw a switch. Same tide etc too. Someone help me here. I scoped out a few other spots and didn't see any activity. This is what separates the men from the boys IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.