NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
What style you looking for: spinner, baitcaster or conventional & about what will you be fishing for (for instance - fresh water trout or bass or slatwater inshore species, etc). That will help narrow it down some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Greg Go Zedco Cardinal And Search They Are The Best Ever Built Abouy 100 Will Buy A Good One Used U Can Wash Them In Salt Watter And They Still Keep Clicking Some Won Qgree Because They Are About 20 To 25 Years Old And Afre Colectibles But Brownies In Goldsborro Has Parts Coast Line Service Center They Are The Real Shimano Repair Station And Bronnie Is A Grate Fisherman And Indivigal Actually I Built Reels For Zebco And Abu And A Few For Berkley Just A Few My Father Abd I Owned A Jount Venture In China Producing Both Rods And Reels We Sold It To Zebco About 7 Years Ago I Know Reels The Zebco Cardinal Is The Best Ever Built The Reels Were Made In Sweeden For Zebco Do Not Confuse These Reels With The New Cardinals They Do Not Compare At All The Good Ones Are Green With A Tan Bell They Are Grate There Is A 3 Size And A 4 Size The 3 Was Mainely Sold In The Mountains For Brook Trout The 4 Is The Gooagrue For Salr Water And A Grate Reel Good Lu Ck I Do Not Type Well So Read This The Best U Can

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool thanks for the help. one more question.
when i am done using my rod and reel i usually spray it off with fresh water. the handle always collects some kind of corrosion on it. how is the best way to take care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
u correcth

just wash with fresh watter a little machine oil spray wont hurt also might try simple soap rag i find this to be best cleaning the salt away is the trick but the cardinal is brass and stanless it wont have problrms if u just wash it good just for fun i checked the web sites after leaving you a message i saw quite o lot of good byes one for 75 bucks it was a four size best of luck.truely these are the best quality and smoothes reels u will ever own and they are simple to work on the drag systen a little freeky that is a point u should take notice after fishig loosen the drag to almost nothing

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ebay has alot of the Shimano and Zebco reels available. Just as always, deal with sellers who have good seller ratings and a solid return policy.
When you get what you want, remove the spool, clean and gease the reel with proper reel lube and coat the case with Rain X like you use on windshields. It works great at protecting the metal and you only have to do it a couple times a year depending on use. Same trick works for any shiny metal on your boat, or chrome and polished aluminum wheels!!

Reactions: petervagn

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Tim. I think you are pretty much on target if you can still get all the parts. I fish Shimanos now mostly. I have 3 Stradic 4000's. I bought each one at a flea market and have a total of $120 invested in the three. I used to fish cardinals almost exclusively. After having trouble getting parts I finally succomed to the pressure of the collector market and sold the 3's and 4's and a couple of 6's and a 7 leaving me a 6 and a 7x. One of the 3's sold for $132 and the other in the $120's on EBAY. That in itself speaks for their Quality.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Shimano or Okuma. I have both and fish both hard.
I bought my sis an Okuma AV-50 for Xmas with the new Okuma M6 7 ft graphite rod (purchased seperately) and the combo was $99 at West Marine.

If you want a good salt type set up reel, Penn 4400 SS would be a great reel.

But check Okuma's, they're good.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Shimano Sedona.
if ya can squeeze another 20 bucks from your budget, the Shimano Stradic is sweet ...
:confused: Mike - fish.shimano.com has both Sedona and Stradic listed under the category of "spinning reels", not "saltwater spinning reels". Is the "saltwater" label for real, or is it just a marketing thing to jack the price up a notch?

I'm thinking about starting to watch eBay and CraigsList for bargains on my next reels... Although the ones I've got haven't let me down yet, I'm starting to think about the process of moving on to the more expensive gear. To do that, though, ya need to know what you're looking for, so I was trying to build a short list of models to watch for. The Penn SS series was the first model to make my list, then I found this thread, and having followed it over to shimano's website, now I'm confused again...

Thx - lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Technically the sedona and stradic are not "saltwater" reels. Most saltwater reels have sealed bearings and some other features to help them resist the saltwater corrosion. With that said, a high quality reel that is maintained well will hold up well in the salt enviroment. The Stradic and Sedona have Rust resistant bearings for instance.

My rule of thumb is this - I use the Shimano Saltwater models (mainly the Spheros) for my major surfcasting gear - I use the Stradics for most everything else - The Stradic is just smoother and lighter than the saltwater jobs - so for boat fishing and taking time to care for the gear after each trip - it is great for saltwater. you can't go wrong with the Spheros though. The Penn SS is decent too.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
OK, that helps. I'm looking first at something to use from the kayak, so I don't need the big surf-sized stuff. They will tend to get splashed more than they will from the deck of your boat, though... So far I've been able to be pretty good about hosing my stuff down after I get home from the beach, although after a long drive, when it's already dark (and cold), it is much more uncomfortable than otherwise...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.