NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I finally have come to the place in my life where I now realize that I am not invincible. I am 70 years old and struggle with the stiffness/lack of flexibility and imbalance issues which come along with having osteoarthritis. Bottom line is I do not feel safe kayak fishing by myself so I am looking for a substitute type of boat to use which is safer. I only fish the creeks and near shore Intracoastal waterway on the coast near Topsail and the small lakes up home in the Boone, NC area. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Man I get it! I am just a couple months shy of 70 myself, so I understand your concern and frustration. Whatever you do, keep on fishing!

Please tell us a little bit about the kind of yak you are using now? Sit-in or sit-on? Paddle or peddle? Length and width? There is a huge difference between a 10 foot yak with a 29 inch beam versus some of the big 12 and 14 foot yaks and a 34 or 36 inch beam. Some of the big Hobies and Nu-Canoes are more like actual boats. Of course, if you get something that big you are going to need a trailer to move it around, which is what I have done.

Are you thinking of going to power? For us old guys, freeboard and gunnel height might be the most important consideration—after all, you will be standing up in a boat at least some of the time. Last spring I bought a very old and well used (and very well maintained) 16 foot Privateer Bay Skiff with a 40 horse Honda and a 55 pound thrust Minn Kota trolling motor with a remote control. I can sit anywhere in that boat and steer it and fish using that remote. Its enuf boat for most of the conditions on the Pamlico and Pungo Rivers, and their adjacent creeks.

Looking forward to hearing from you—with a little more info I am sure others will have something to contribute.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris 52 appreciate the reply. I now own a 10.5' Ocean Kayak Trident 11 sit on top. It is very stable. I can put both legs off the side but the seat is very uncomfortable anymore. Tried to find a newer version universal seat that has better support and height but haven't had any luck. It has good storage compartment space and layout. My concern lies more in my ability than in the kayak. If I rolled the kayak I am physically not capable of getting my old fat butt back in the boat. I would love to have a center console Carolina skiff type boat but, at this time, it is not feasible for me to even buy a good used one. The lakes I fish up home are allow using a motorized boat. For years and currently I go to the coast in the spring and again in the fall for a couple of weeks each season. However, that may be changing within the next year so that I may be spending a full month in the spring and again in the fall.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Used boat prices are crazy high right now. Hopefully they will begin to come down soon to a more reasonable range. There are lots of posts each day on Craigslist for used boats. I got lucky, as my neighbor decided he had too many boats and needed to sell one. I knew the owner, knew the boat and how it had been cared for, and the price was fair.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you think it’s bad now wait until you get to be my age, will be 80 next Sunday. Contact one of the Jarvis boys at Four Sons Marine in Fair Bluff, Coastal North Carolina Boat Maker & Manufacturer | Chesapeake VA. I fish the same conditions as you and find their 171 model suits my needs very well. I had a 1655 DLX Carolina Skiff and it worked fine, problem was as I aged it shrank, the passage from stern to bow became worrisome. My boat is the same size as the 1780 CS but some lighter and has lower gunwales which make getting in much easer when wading. It is also some less expensive. I have a 50 HP motor but a 40, or probably a 30, will do and would cut the cost.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
If you wish a kayak... Look at the NuCanoe Frontier. (maybe Ultimate too). You sit almost like a normal chair, you can move or cross your legs, they are adaptable for gas and electric motors. I am 6'6" with an artifical hip and 58 years on me... And I find it very comfortable. Insane stability for a kayak, you might flip a jon boat before you flip one of these.

If you wish another skinny water motor vessel... Look for a Greenhoe. Similar shape to a canoe.

I can't help you if you are looking for a conventional boat, not my area of expertise.

Reactions: mtn appraiser

·
Registered
1 Posts
MTN, have you heard of the Solo Skiff? 14' long, about 41" wide, V hull. With a 6hp Tohatsu on it, I can do about 17 mph. Very stable, and if you mount an elevated seat like a Millenium Pro B, you can get up and down comfortably. Go anywhere you can go in a kayak, only faster. Use the outboard to get where you want to go, then tilt motor up and pole or paddle around in inches of water. www.soloskiff.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay I finally have come to the place in my life where I now realize that I am not invincible. I am 70 years old and struggle with the stiffness/lack of flexibility and imbalance issues which come along with having osteoarthritis. Bottom line is I do not feel safe kayak fishing by myself so I am looking for a substitute type of boat to use which is safer. I only fish the creeks and near shore Intracoastal waterway on the coast near Topsail and the small lakes up home in the Boone, NC area. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am 72, will be 73 next March. I love my Old Town PDL 106 kayak. I suffer with the osteoarthritis problems too. I never try to stand in my kayak.....it's a very stable kayak, I'm sure I could. I just don't feel the need to, plus I don't really trust my sense of balance anymore. I've had it for 2 1/2 years now, and never rolled it, or fell out.
I'm lucky enough to have several small lakes in my area that limit boats to 10hp, so boat traffic is not a problem. Being retired, I try to fish 2 to 3 times a week during the warmer months. But never on weekends, I leave that for the working folks. Good exercise, and as my favorite Youtuber fisherman says "go fishing when you can, because it's good fer yuh". I just put up my kayak and gear waiting for spring. Water is dangerously cold here in NC this time of year, should I fall in. Boy do I hate winter, I'm thinking of moving south to warmer winters one of these days.
I enjoy the exercise I get pedaling the kayak with the pedal drive. My doctor says it's good for my heart. I told my wife when I get to where I can't pedal, I'll get one of the new kayaks that come with electric motors in place of the pedal drives. I hope to continue kayak fishing till I can't. Good luck on what you're looking for. Just know there are other 70 plus yr old folks out here, you're not alone.

·
Registered
Twin Troller X10, old man's kayak!
8 Posts
Greetings, while I am only 59, will age into this TTX10 boat easily, and have thoroughly enjoyed since 2011, and the stabilty and handability is EXTREME! Ironically, called this my "old man's kayak" years ago. Check it out: https://www.freedomelectricmarine.com/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had similar issues. Arthritis has been around for a number of years and getting worse at 60. Built up a WS kayak, electric motor, seat mods, anchor trolly, etc. Turned right around and sold it. It was a pain to wrestle in and out of my pickup. With the mods sitting was very comfortable, however, staying seated for long periods of time just stiffens me up. I need to get up and move around.
So I drove to FL and back in one day last year and bought a 15'4" Gheenoe Highsider with trailer. Added a 6 hp motor. May of this year, I updated to a 9.9 hp. I'm very happy. Gheenoe makes several models and has an almost cult-like following down in FL.
Mine being under 16' removes a number of state requirements, and under 10 hp it's legal on almost any lake. Small enough to fit in the garage.
I can stand up, move around, stretch, walk front to back, etc. Easy for one aging man to handle. I get around 18-19 mph fully loaded. Two can fish out of it reasonably comfortably as long as you don't try to crawl over each other too much. I've done several mods adding a shallow false floor and a custom grab bar.
It is NOT a heavy/rough water boat.
Been in it a year and a half and have 65 hours on the brand new 9.9 I put on in May. Thus far I have zero complaints and sooo glad I ditched the kayak.
Water Boat Sky Cloud Watercraft

Watercraft Boat Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Rigid-hulled inflatable boat

But if that isn't you cup-o-tea you may want to look into:

Creekboats: https://www.creekboats.com/
Warrior Boats: Home - Warrior Manufacturing
Or
Caiman Boats: https://www.caimanoutdoors.com/

I believe all of these are a step up from a kayak, in my opinion, though there are some very nice and comfortable kayaks out there that I've never tried so I may not be comparing fairly or objectively.
I looked really hard at those three listed above and almost pulled the trigger on the two man creek boat before going for the Gheenoe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MTN,
I can't really speak to your question but just to let you know I'm 74 and recently sold my center console and purchased a pontoon at my wife's suggestion. I owned a pontoon years ago and she said that was her favorite boat. I lived in Vilas for many years and we used to do day trips to Watauga Lake every Sunday. We moved from Boone a few years ago and relocated here to Carolina Beach and love it greatly. We now spend our time on the water mostly on the Cape Fear during the week. Good luck in you research and I hope you find the boat that suits your needs.
Barnaclebill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts