NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going down to check out the Bass Masters Classic later this week and I am looking for any experience you guys have about the best way to go about it to get the biggest bang for the buck. You know, like the how to do DisneyLand in a day thing.

I was living in Alabama when they had a tournament on Smith Lake and at that time I had a boat so I just went out and followed a couple of the guys (at a respectable distance) just to see what they were doing. Thought about doing that again this year but I think it will be too cold to do it in the Guide 119. Watching them put in and take out was pretty much a snooze fest since these guys were all business at that point and was unable to make the weigh in.

I have some friends that have been to pro golf tournaments and they seem to think the practice days are better when the pros are relaxed and more amenable to chatting with the crowd.

OK. Enough chit chat. This is a one day trip so what is the best way to experience the tournament? Do the take out and then up to the weigh in? Skip the take out and spend the day at the weigh in site? All comments are appreciated and the best responses will be entered into a random drawing for dinner at the next M&G we both attend for a free dinner, compliments of yours truly consisting of ptomaine salad and fish kill fillets.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Someone on here went to the Delaware river event last year to watch. He found some vantage points on shore to watch over some areas that were being fished by several pros. I have never been to a classic before, thought about going to Hartwell as its not real far away.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i will be there with a crowd, one day on the water watching, one day at the expo and weigh, and one day to do whatever comes up before heading back. never been to any elite event so i have no idea. but the lake house is nice so it works regardless.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I think I will pass on the demo ride. An open face bass boat, 40 degrees, and 50 mph just ain't my cup of tea.
Thats what motorcycle helmets are for. No way I would get on a motorcycle but I own a helmet... that matches my boat.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
If I weren't going to be on the water trying to follow some anglers to watch, I would be at the weigh-in event personally.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No more question about whether it is too cold to catch fish please. Delayed start because of ice and one of the coldest days of the year. Top weight for the day was over 21lb.

Fantastic trip. Got delayed by a wreck on the way down but the rest of the day was perfect. The delay actually worked to our advantage. By getting there a little later (3pm) we ended up parking near the weigh in site and hopped the free shuttle up to the Expo and back.

Lots of great exhibitors at the Expo with lots of cool products. Also had several pros on hand to chat, sign autographs, etc. Pretty much filled two floors of a big convention center.
Smile Motor vehicle Wheel Jacket Tire
Smile Product Automotive tire Wheel T-shirt

I was afraid the weigh in would get boring but I was wrong. They kept it moving with each weigh in taking less than five minutes. We were up in the rafters but a couple of monitors bigger than my house captured all the action. Highly recommend it if you have never been to one.
Performing arts Entertainment Flat panel display Building Display device
Field house Lighting Fan Entertainment Event

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
i actually thought the weigh in dragged on. but it was a fun experience. hindsight wish it had been warmer and taken the boat but at least we didn't miss the launch trying to unfreeze our boat from the bunks on a ramp 30 mins away. only had a couple fish near our stay, but we found a few top finishers around the area. expo was nice friday and got slam packed the next two. some good deals though and fishing pros everywhere. might not try 6 hours with an infant again, but 3-4 for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.