NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definately are headin offshore to kick off our season this comin weekend... so I hope to have a report or two. Headin out of Southport and will work our way via water up and around Wrightsville. Will be out for two day's (sat and sun).
Saturday looks to be a bit bouncy,, so that's fine by us, should be good for trolling.

Fingers X'd and will report back sometime Monday morning.

If anyone else is headin out this weekend and wants to bounce MMSI #'s and such to call each other, let me know. Tested my neighbors and my DSC system on land the last two nights and all is working now. His would receive but not send his signal... so very glad we found his problem out before headin out there. If he didnt discover that his wiring was wrong and needed that DSC emergency deal... he'd of been SOL.

Here's my MMSI info:

Call sign: Size 9 (Dave)

Channels monitored: 9, 16, 13, 68, 69, 70 (all tag'd for scan)

DSC MMSI #: 338040464

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow....

Was hoping to go... but just simply was a no go today. Didnt even tow the boat down.
Supposed to leave out of Southport today.. got a report back from my neighbor that left friday eve... called back and said they turned around at 6 miles out of Carolina Bch and headed back to protected water, also report from out of Morehead was pretty much the same. So I kinda knew last night just simply wasnt gonna be. Better to be safe and I dont risk the crew in stuff like that.

We drove down anyway to check out the ramp at Southport, threw the cast net and got some really nice 2 inch squids in the muddy shoreline (2 dozen), some small croakers and shrimp as well... so we freezed them up tonight. Cleaned out the Southport wally world of 17 5 lb boxes of squid and a dozen spanish sardines and other stuff then hit the Wrightsville wally world and cleand out their 5 lb boxes of squid as well... so basically today was a "bait stocking" day... fun trip though, had a long time Fla buddy with me and an ol fishin buddy along for the ride, we had a good time despite not bein able to take the boat with us.

Thanx for takin the time to chat with us *(the boys on that beautiful Yellofin 31 "God's Speed").. Get'm next time I guess! ha ha ha ha... Saw them when we were lookin for a place to eat in SP, then chat'd with them when they pull'd out of WB ramp. We weren't stalkin ya... I swear!! :)

Oh well... t's why they call it fishin and not catchin, so we'll just keep stockin bait till we get a good day :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Dave--- Thats more bait than my fishing hat has flies. I hope you have a generator in case of a power failure. Is there something that you might feel the need to share with with the rest of us outside the bait shortage that you have created. :)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dave if you need a standby generator let me know. I'm not talking about just to save the bait but all the fish you are going to have to freeze as a result of not letting that bait go to waste. Better yet as the freezer gets full I'll come help you make some room in it. Those grouper just take up soooo much room! AL

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No secret to it Forrest... We have the annual Florida trip coming up and due to the hurricanes and stuff, bait fisherman lost alot of their boats, so bait is at a premium in certain areas (funny though,, all the boxes I have were from Fla!!!!) but anyway,, a 10 lb box of squid will run ya about $30 at the place we'll be staying and fishin out of... so it was cheaper for us to load up on bait here. We'll definately use most of it (equated out to 6 people fishin for 5 days - roughly $20 a day per person bait wise).

That's freezer #2 in the garage, I have plenty of room for fish in the other freezer and the fridge freezer in the house, this freezer is used just for baits (very usefull to have baits "on hand" save's lots of time in the mornings). Thanx for the generator dealy,, but if power shuts out, we load up the baits into coolers with ice blocks and top with ice until power back up.

Hope Walmarts down there got busy ordering more.. cause we're about to make another run on bait (for our second local bait run). I figured last weekend was the best time to hit them up since weather would keep folks inside and probably not alot of folks fishin... If it'd of been good weather,, everyone and their brother would of been fishin.. so I'm glad I got ahold of them makeral baits and the bulk boxes of squid cause 200 one lb. boxes of squid is not the way to go!! :)

I'll tell ya this Al,, we're definately planning to load up on some grouper this Fla trip. Give you an idea, between 3 of us last year, we brought to the boat 300 grouper the first day (mix of scamp, red, gag). We got so tired of catching them and our hands were so tore up we decided to start trolling to give it a break. We found a weed line and within 45 minutes we boated 48 mahi... that was on day one down there!! just crazy... And man, it's hard to explain fishin in them 2 inch seas down there this time of year and it's really somethin to pull up 30 lb groupers just less than 8 miles out of the inlet... we didnt know how to act! ha ha ha ha ha....:D For two days fishin, brought back 201 lbs of fillet'd fish (paid the fish camp guys to clean all the fish... no way I was doin it!!).

I'll post plenty of pix of this years trip for you guys.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Dave---Honestly, you are my hero on this board for your efforts on being prepared. Boat, rigging, electronics,tackle, baits and emphasis on safety. You appear to be ahead of many of the charters and definitely have the stuff to catch fish. If you do not have one, may I suggest that you check state surplus and get yourself a commercial ice maker. I have had one for about 15 years and without a doubt it is the greatest convenience a fisherman can ever own.:)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny you mention that. I did look into one last year. Tried to go to one of them Army DRMO auctions they had at Ft. Bragg, but the ones they had were HUGE! (not enough room for them industrial types).

Agree though, would love to have an ice maker... who knows maybe down the road.
for right now,, ya kinda see how I do it with ice blocks and using tea/orange juice/milk jugs. Got an ice maker at work, but wouldnt be as convenient as having one at the house.

Wife usually doesnt buy off on alot of what I try to get as far as fishin stuff... but it was her that bought off on the freezer deals. One neighbor gave us the one fridge, they were gonna take it to the dump... they said if I came and picked it up I could have it so of course we said "we'll take it", and my wifes friend is moving and asked her if we wanted this stand up freezer, she said I could go pick it up if I wanted to... so wha-lah.. freezers :)

Oh, and it's no secret where we fish in Fla. I know we have awsome fishin here in NC, but alot of our fishin here get's dictated by the weather. Got to admit, Fla does have better weather year round.. and them 1-2 ft. seas day after day have some type of addictive thing about them. While fishing with a good friend over the years, he found this little hole in the wall type place in Apalachacola Fla and invited us down. Went down there and just couldnt believe how "fishy" this place was, definately not the ritziest place you'll ever stay (fiddler crab's scurryin across the livin room floor), but man, you'd have to go there just once to fall in love. Ever since, we make a date on the calender to fish there at least once a year and that is our annual road trip. So I'll toss it out for anyone looking for a super great getaway that's got some of the best unknown fishin in Fla... you might want to consider booking a long weekend down there one time and if anyones interested, I'd be more than happy to advise if you take your boat down there. They have 'everything' and it's secluded and extremely laid back. Check it out: http://www.baycitylodge.com/

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Dave--- That looks and sounds like my kinda place. Thats the reason I've been in Atlantic for the past twenty five years. My wife and I went to Ocean Isle this past month. We tried to locate some previously owned property there, but couldn't, I think it has been turned into part of a parking lot. Unfortunately,major developers have finally got a foot hold down our way around Atlantic and Sea Level and have big plans so I guess the Paradise I have enjoyed for so many years will soon change.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dave, You just made me think about what I was missing during the early season down that way. I used to work outages during the spring and fall at Farley Nuclear Plant in order to be down there during primetime for the spring ling fling, not to mention the king spanish etc. All of those days I spent cruising the tackle shops etc waiting on the water to warm up would have been much better spent bottom fishing out of Appalachicola. I even new about the fish populations but I assumed that it was a head boat only proposition. That section of the ocean is phenomanal although for awhile the commercial boys hit it a little too hard for too long. Thanks to the efforts of the fisheries folks it is now as good as ever. Boats from Tarpon springs and Tampa Bay head up to the middle grounds for their serious bottom fishing. Maybe next spring I'll get to head that way for a little grouper and cobia action. AL

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Forrest, Great idea on state surplus. I've been wanting an ice maker for a couple years. I will give that a try. If anyone hears of a good deal on one please let me know. ;)

fojoloy said:
If you do not have one, may I suggest that you check state surplus and get yourself a commercial ice maker. I have had one for about 15 years and without a doubt it is the greatest convenience a fisherman can ever own.:)

Later, Forrest

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.