Went down to topsail to fish the sound with basswrangler this weekend and
had a blast. Caught a 24 inch drum after only a few casts and it made the
trip for sure. First time I've ever got on any drum inshore without a
guide. Caught another drum that was underslot around midnight but then my
night got cut short. I snagged my new topwater lure and decided to go after
it. climbed up on a retaining wall to reach the lure and slipped off. I
fell feet first onto an oyster bar and then fell forward and stuck my hand
out. The result was very unpleasant. Luckily basswrangler's aunt happened
to also be at topsail, and she's a nurse so she patched me up pretty good.
Sorry for the pics but I thought y'all should see what happens when you get
in a hurry and don't think twice about what you're doing. haven't been
walking much today and I'm sure it'll slow me down for a while. Worst part
is the nice school of drum we had just found before this happened. Knowing
they all got to swim another day hurts me inside

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
no kidding the slime on those oysters is some bad stuff, don't take chances, keep them soaked and cleaned!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
The best investment one can make for fishing at the beach is a pair of those cheap "water" shoes at Walmart. You can walk all over oysters and not worry about it. I didn't have mine on back in the summer and stepped on some oyster shells....couldn't hardly walk for a week afterwards.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I don't know about any shoes being oyster proof. I had a brand new pair of the white "Sneeds Ferry Sneakers" and got out of my kayak on the edge of an oyster bed and one went through the side of the boot like butter. I'm amazed at how sharp they are and how much bacteria they contain.
Be careful

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know about any shoes being oyster proof. I had a brand new pair of the white "Sneeds Ferry Sneakers" and got out of my kayak on the edge of an oyster bed and one went through the side of the boot like butter. I'm amazed at how sharp they are and how much bacteria they contain.
Be careful

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work. I have flounder gigged/walked the IC waterway a TON and have not been cut since using this type shoe. The bottoms are sliced to pieces but they have lasted 2 years...its time for a new pair honestly. I am just stating what works in MY EXPERIENCE.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
OUCH that looks serious. NEVER go into salt water without good shoes. Take specks advice on this one ;)

Congrats on your drum, they sure do put smiles on lots of faces.

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The best investment one can make for fishing at the beach is a pair of those cheap "water" shoes at Walmart. You can walk all over oysters and not worry about it. I didn't have mine on back in the summer and stepped on some oyster shells....couldn't hardly walk for a week afterwards.
A man who was giving me advice on flounder fussed at me earlier that day for being barefoot. I was just being dumb. Going to get some today when I go to get some new shoes that are easier to get on with hurt feet

·
Registered
312 Posts
The issue with crocs is they will come off....same with tennis shoes as they can form "suction" and just pull off your feet. I have been stuck to my waist in mud and never lost these cheap shoes. They are less than $10 a pair at Walmart and are worth their weight in gold IMO.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.