NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes they are taking over. I caught some nice ones this spring and summer in a place where I have never seen them or heard of them being there. I posted a few pics on the American Fisheries Black bass Society face book page and the Steve Sammons from that site contacted me( he is a Auburn Fisheries Scientist that I have fished with before) and he said the NCWRC wanted to talk to me about them. Steve gave them my info and one of the Biologist from the NCWRC called me and after talking he told me these were the First Alabama Spotted Bass from this area where I was fishing. Not good news. they out compete largemouths and take over and they hybridize with smallies and shoalies and wipe them out. Bass fishermen are spreading them.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know anything about them. Why are they bad?

~JOE~
dang you didnt watch the video?? quick synopsis from my experience (in the video) 1990 I was catching 90 percent largemouth in the Cape fear and 10 percent spots. 2000 is was catching 10 percent largemouth to 90 percent spots. now it is Kentucky spots in the CF so they do no get as big as Alabama spots... so now you catch a lot of little spots vs largemouths.
They out compete every other species of bass and in a lake with smallies the smallies do not stand a chance against them and there are lots of examples in the south where they have wiped out smallies in lakes. they out compete them and hybridize with them so down the road they are no smallies left.
In a river the smallies stand a little better chance but it is not good.
Also while bama spots get bigger than kentuckies they only have good size to them when they are first expanding in a river , once they take over they tend to stunt and thus dont get much bigger than kentuckies

another example---lake normans Largemouth only make up 8 percent of the bass population now. .

·
Registered
358 Posts
That seems like really bad news. I wish people would stop moving fish around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for helping to drive the awareness here Mack!

Would you happen to know what the spotted bass situation currently is in Lake James?

Encouraging to hear that in the faster/higher flow river environments that the smallies seem to be able to hold their own.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for helping to drive the awareness here Mack!

Would you happen to know what the spotted bass situation currently is in Lake James?

Encouraging to hear that in the faster/higher flow river environments that the smallies seem to be able to hold their own.
there is nothing wrong with Lake James . Spots have been in there for a long time now and the smallmouth are as big and plentiful as ever. It has some really big meanmouths as well. But you catch 9 smallmouth to 1 spot at least in my experience .

·
Registered
183 Posts
Seems like they will have to be embraced as a sport fish because they probably aren’t going away.

Man has a way of messing up nature.

~JOE~
If you ever fished norman, belews, rhodhiss, Gaston(after the bass virus) before the spots then you would definitely embrace them. Everyone likes to talk about how chatuge was ruined. Chatuge was not that great of a smallmouth fishery. There weren’t 3-5 lb smallmouth swimming all over the lakelike there are 3-5 lb spots all over it now. Chatuge is the best it’s ever been since the spots. No, they’re not native, but I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the lakes that have them now. The people that talk about how spots are small are the ones that don’t invest the time to try and figure out how to catch the big ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts