NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have caught them here in 38 degree water i have caught them in 70 degree water but i have never fished the beds, what bodies of water are good for bedding bass?
also what lakes have good quality spotted and largemouth?
tex

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm definately no expert on fresh water fish by any stretch... but a friend of mine that's pretty good at that kind of fishin will throw a lizard into a bass bed. The bass usually wont strike it, but mouth it and move it away then go back to the bed.
He's got alot more patience than I do and he'd keep tossin the lizard (rubber lizard) in there until he hooked the bass... I'd never of believed it until I watched him do this a few times..

Cool part is you see the fish, plain as day, you'd see him flip that lizard in there, fish would move it, then move it then finally after a few tries the fish mouthed it and he'd set the hook.

Me,, I just kept tossin a rubber frog and had a strike one time! :)

That's all I know about bedded bass and tryin to catch them short of dynomite:eek:

The beds he was flipin in to were shallow and near some grassy/lilly pad type cover along a bank in a small type cut/coves, water was very clear.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I have the most luck with a crawfish looking lure. cast it out past the bed and then reel it in through the bed with a little shake. Like Wellcraft said a lot of time they do not bite to eat but will shake and throw the bait. If you are close enough to the bed you will see the bass come in and pick it up. Just have to set the hook then. As far as bodies of water, they tend to bed closer to the shore. makes sense in the fact that the new fry will have more cover in the grassy or weedy edges along a lake or pond, plus the water warms a little sooner on the banks if the lake or pond does not drop sharply.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I use a booyah! jig with a small plastic frog attached to the hook. Get some of that berkley power lure and spray it on there pretty good. Throw it right around the bed and like wellcraft and bait said they will see it as a nusiance. You just have to have the quick hand to catch them. But if you DO locate some this type of fishin is a LOt of FUN!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
clear water lakes are best.. i loath bed fishing but i can do it.. a tiny bush hog on a 1/8oz jig head has been my #1 bed lure. white,bubble gum,june bug..

zooker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.