NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we're in terrrestrial season I've been taking advantage of the absurd amount of foam I have laying around, making beetles, ants, and hoppers. The question is, what size are you guys generally using for these patterns? I just tied up a hopper on a size 8, 6XL hook, on a whim. It's a slab of meat, but I'm wondering how practical it'll be in use.

I assume it would be akin to streamer fishing, where you're targeting the biggest fish in the run. But I don't want to send even the lunkers into the next county thinking some mutant is out to get them.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I tie my foam bream bugs on a size 8 dry fly hook. When I am done, it is about the size of the end of my little finger. I catch large and small bream on it, and a few LMB.s Largest LMB was about 4 lbs. That fly was lost in that bass' mouth. Most times when I catch a LMB, the fly lands right over it's head. Haven't had one to chase it yet. I've also caught just a few crappie on top water, but haven't in a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.