NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to take my girls up there to watch the boats come back what time should I go? I don't know if they come back late enough but I have heard it is a neat thing to see. My 4 year old would love it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you listen to local radio/tv stations, they usually announce hook-ups/catches and tentative arrival time to the dock. I usually go to the dock around 5pm to get a good view unless one is coming in earlier.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Keep track of this page. Usually once a boat has boated a blue and going to return, they radio in and it's posted next to the boats name the ETA. It appears the VIKING 62 has already boated a blue marlin but they havent announced the ETA yet.

http://www.thebigrock.com/hookups

Otherwise anytime around 4:30-5:00 the boats that dont have a blue marlin on board start showing up and you get to see that days gamefish (Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna) get weighed for a couple hours.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Agree..................Not sure I understand anyway why are some released and some brought to the scales?

And WOW Early big rock events had few rules and early prizes were almost similar to that of pirate's treasure. In 1956 the winner received a "quart of varnish."

Sometimes that mean the fish has died and they need to crank in dead weight. Hope that's not the case here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The fish must meet a minimum length and weight to be brought to the scales. It has to hit either 400lbs or at least 110"s in length. If it's shy of 110"s in length it's the captains option to boat the blue or release it depending on if he thinks it will hit 400lbs. If it doesnt meet either of those requirements and they still boat the fish and bring it back to the weight station that boat is penalized. Therefore that's why some are released and they also have a release division.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Agree..................Not sure I understand anyway why are some released and some brought to the scales?

."
Because they don't make the minimum requirements set by Big Rock to be brought to the scales. Fish must be 400 pounds or 110 inches long. If you bring a fish in smaller than that, you are deducted points.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If the Viking boat was in the fabulous fishermen category they will have a nice pay day headed their way for the first blue over 500 pounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
3 more fish coming to the scales today. Carly A fought one for 6 hours. Callie Girl and Shenandoah both boated late in the day. 15 fished released. Looks like its off to a good start. I'm pulling for EZ Boy 40' Winter Custom outboard.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts

And WOW Early big rock events had few rules and early prizes were almost similar to that of pirate's treasure. In 1956 the winner received a "quart of varnish."
The Big Rock is several tournaments going on at once. There is a tag and release class as well as classes for other species. The entry fees are also tiered. To get into the big money you have to tier up high and then you have the side bets like the Calcutta going on. Alot of jack to enter at the top tier for the marlin kill class.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In response to "why kill some and not others?" Some one else mentioned "legal minimum length and weight" and now that there are 3 fish over 500# there is no reason to kill anything less than 503.6#, it will pay zero. If you release it at least you accumulate release points and can potentially win $ in that category. Company boat Viking has set the bar high at 680#. 5 fish in 57 years were larger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.