NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Spanish like, no love Big Nic Spanish Candy Jigs.
Had some crazy eats on top under busting birds.
No trolling just casting, buy extra you'll lose a few to cut offs.
Herman's tackle box (pictured ) is a little lighter today.
Caught 32 Spanish, enough to feed "Phil Kids" & other families..... ICM
Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Outdoor recreation Lake

Food Seafood Grey Cuisine Fish

Tool Office supplies Writing implement Plastic Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Great catch. I went out of NRI last Monday on a marginal day. Water temp was 60 deg, and I didn't see or catch any bonito. Caught a couple of smaller false albacore, but those schools were scattered and moving super fast. Got a couple of keeper BSB on those famous rock piles. But no bones. It's a little out of the ordinary to see Spanish show up before the bonito, especially with the water temps in the low 60's, but that's just how things work out there. Last week I heard the bonito were being caught 10 miles out. They should be here real soon if that dang fan stops blowing. Agree that Big Nic jigs are the ticket. Love 'em. Good work.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeing more Facebook post of BonitO being landed.
Stay positive & hope the wind machine turns off.
Meanwhile I need to pick up some more Big Nic Jigs..... ICM

Reactions: bmac

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! the wind has kept me inside so far. I am too chicken to take my low sided 20ft bay boat outside but hopefully soon. Any particular color they are preferring?
Pink Clark Spoons, #1 & #2 planers.
Your boat is more than capable, see for yourself...... ICM
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Water resources

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
April is a great month for catching.
This video is from the two morning trips last week.
Enjoy .......ICM

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am about to get my River Ox 1700 finished and I'm excited to finally get to try this potentially. A little more gel coat hang the outboard and I'm there. Since I'm new to salt water outside the surf after fishing strictly inside for years outta yaks this is new territory to explore in the new rig. Boat is kinda low in the back and I'm hanging a 4 stroke 75 Yam on it so swell heights and chop are a concern until I get some experience. Not sure how well the self bailing concept is gonna work until I get it on the water and see how it sits. It was designed to self bail originally but it had a much lighter 2 stroke on it too. How far out are you guys fishing?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We were at the Liberty Ships WB , maybe 5 + miles out.
Bonito maybe have gone north from WB.
Spanish are being caught from the surf, off Johnnie Mercer's pier. So you don't have to go far off the beach.

It's important that you very carefully pick your days to try.
File a float plan & have all your safety gear on hand.

There's been a young guy, solo fishing in a small Jon boat ( maybe 15' ) with a tiller handle on calm days.
So it's doable, just take caution as your ride along.
Hope this helps .....ICM

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks ICM I totally agree about picking the days. I'm in Clemmons so I dont always have my druthers to pick so I'll play it safe and play it by ear. 5 miles is doable on the right day. Good to hear that the spanish are already closer in than I thought thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts