NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is NC angler and I was scolded one time for writing about out of state fishing. But I have to mention the Striper fishing I have been doing below Cordell Hull dam on the Cumberland River TN. If you can, GO! I believe it is the best fishing in the country right now. Better than anything. I can’t think of anywhere else you can catch fish from 30# up to 60# ponds. 60# is rare but realistic. 50# happens regular. The smallest fish I have caught this year on this water is 32#. The fishing is slowing for this year, but next spring, hang on. I will be there! Anyway I want go on. As I said. I know its NC Angler and I get that, I do live in WNC. I just wanted to pass this amazing Fishery along to anyone looking for an awesome adventure. Last word, Skipjack!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!!! :D

I've been dying to fish east Tennessee for stipers for a while now. I've been thinking of going after them this summer when they head up the rivers for cooler water. I just need to do more research on when and where to go. My goal is 30lbs+ on the fly. But I may just have to tow the boat that way next spring.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Video file is a mp4 and huge. I shot it with a Gopro cam. The files are crazy big. I will play with it and see if I can get it posted.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, Got it. In the video we are trying to not let the boat going by see we are catching a fish. The guides had been going down river from us and didn’t know we were on fish. If they had seen me pulling on the fish they would have been all over us the next day. Guides think only weekend warriors do that, but they are just as bad. Not trying to start a debate just explaining the video. Enjoy! Click the YouTube link in the above post.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think I saw them fishing the area you are talking about on The Hunt for Big Fish last year (can't remember if it was Cordell Hull or Melton Hill). Looked like some pretty awesome fishing. At 60 lbs you are getting in the world record range for landlocked striped bass (current is 69-9)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hunt for big fish was on Milton hill. Going there this week. The tn state record was caught on the Cumberland. Not far from where the video was made. It is over 60. I think 65+.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Could use a little video work....and always remember to wipe off the screen before shooting.
Nice Fish...:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The camera work is better in my boat. I have it mounted on thee cc with a remote. This was my cousins boat and he didn't even know how to turn the camera on. I will try to get a good video this week. I'll be on Milton hill/clinch river. Not as many big fish. But maybe a good video. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks for the post. I would love to fish Tennessee for stripers. I've heard a lot about Watts Bar and other places. I caught one 42.5 lbs. up in the Chesapeake Bay this past December. It is unreal seeing those big girls come up to the top.

I completely understand about hiding the "catch". We were at the Roanoke River a couple years ago and were catching them like crazy right in front of the ramp. When someone would put on/take off we would hold the rod with the fish straight down. LOL They were there for about an hour right in the middle of the day, and we had them by ourselves for about an hour until they moved on or just quit biting.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts