NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a trip out to the Dan in Stokes County yesterday. I ran into Hookeye and he offered to take me to a spot with more fish. He knew what he was doing and put me on fish within the first 20 minutes. At the first hole, I landed a nice little rainbow and a nice little brown. Hookeye had to leave, so I headed downstream and fished a few more holes. I caught another rainbow and a brook, and missed a couple. I landed 4 fish in about 4 hours and all came on a muddler minnow. (lost the fly just before I left) All fish were around 12" and were released. It was a great day for my first time fly fishing for trout in NC. I want to thank Hookeye for being so helpful - I really appreciate it.

Hookeye, on the drive home, I noticed Dan River access where it crosses 704. Is that worth a shot? There were a few trucks down there. I plan on coming back out there as soon as work and the wife allow and I'd like to try some different spots. I wish it wasn't so far. Thanks again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey ketchunanee,

Glad I could be of some help.:) I wish that I could of stayed longer,
sorry you lost that fly.It was doing a number on the fish.
Maybe they'll stock again soon,as you know they were far and few beetween. I'm not sure about the crossing on 704 I've never fished there, but if you seen trucks, I'm sure there were fish.
The locals down there see the stock trucks and really put a number
on the fish after they stock'em. All in all , it sounds like you done well,
as you heard other anglers say they did'nt do any good.
Maybe we can hook up down there again, as I've a few more spots I've yet to show ya. Glad to have met ya! Glad you caught a few more!
Those fish were really pressured and still you fared well!
Good job!:)
Again, I'm glad I could be of some help.
Also I thank NCANGLER for this awesome website!:)
Sharp hooks and tight lines.
Hookeye

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hookeye, I agree, this board is great-Thanks NCAngler. If it weren't for this board, I would have a tough time finding water to fish since I'm not from around here.

I was checking the NCWildlife website and saw that the Hatchery Supported waters have a season from April 2 - June 30. Does anyone know when the season opens back up? It looks like last year it opened July 1. I'm just a little confused by the system in NC.
Also, do stocked fish feed on minnows a lot? It seems like everyone was using minnow immitations and white and silver colors. I'm going to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow for some more streamers since that was all they seemed interested in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
:D ketchunannee, try a small clouser in a size 6 it might sound like its on the large size but it will do fine. also pick up some black and olive bead head boogers, in 6/8 also, it's like candy to a child. you never mentioned where you were headed to, so these will work on 99% of the streams around here. Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Thanks for the note Hookeye. This website will be awesome because of great anglers that are willing to share information and expertise like Hookeye and others noted in this post. You guys are awesome! Special thanks too to you guys that stand up for the conservation of the great water resources we enjoy in the Tar Heel state! :)

Also I thank NCANGLER for this awesome website!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Redfishtom, I did try some wooly buggers but didn't have any hits. I'm not sure how you fish them, but I just let them tumble along the bottom with occasional strips. I am under the impression that they are more of a faster water fly. The fish that I caught were in almost still water under overhanging trees and I was afraid a beadhead would splash and spook them. It was tight casting and I didn't have much room to land the fly and let it tumble. I did pick up some more wooly buggers though, even some creme-colored ones, and some more muddlers(couldn't find clousers). I hope to try them out soon but my weekends are pretty tied up. I'll let you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.