NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went over to BIP about 2:30. A guy had netted a whole slew of menhaden and passed them around so everyone had plenty of good bait. There were also plenty of small blues for bait.

About 5:00 a king flew and knocked my blue out of the water then came back and grabbed him. He started to run but wasn't a hookup. I ended up with the blue's head but no king.

A couple other people hooked small black tips (3-4') but they didn't get them in. One kid hooked a tarpon but didn't have the right equipment so it spooled him out and broke his line.

About 7 I hooked up with a 70" black tip. Felt like a submarine. I worked him for about 20 minutes and the guys were able to gaff him. He weighed in about 140lbs. There were filets for all! :)

All-in-all a good day. I would much rather have hooked up the king. He looked to be 25-30lbs, but that's just a guess. Point is, with the bait fish and the calm emerald water, the game fish are coming around.

I will post the pics when I receive them from the kids who had cameras.

NSTIGATOR come on down!!! They are waiting for you...

P.S. Here's a couple of the better pics.
P.S.S. Time Out -- it was great meeting and talking with you. I look forward to a lot of good fishing with you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx. Was on BIP all day. No kings. There were quite a few spanish advertising off the king deck but only a couple small ones were caught. No kings showed up. The best I could do was a 4lb blue.

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
25 Posts
I arrived on the pier around 4:30pm on Saturday and actually went to the King deck a couple of times, but I was looking for a guy in a blue hat. :) I should have yelled out jimbeam.
I fished the left side of the pier before the king deck fence (if facing the ocean). I was wearing a red shirt with a Hollister logo and khaki shorts. We didn't catch much.. one nice pompano, a good sized blue (I gave it to the one of the King crew), and a couple of small (12-14") sharks. After 9:30 or so we moved to the King Deck and fished off the end. We caught a few small croakers, a small spot, a few mullet, a few blues, and a bunch of small sharks. Around 3:15am my friend hooked and brought in a 3'+ shark. By that time I was so tired of sharks I called it a night.
It was a fun time, but the fish were small. I would like to come back in October and try again.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tripp -- sorry I missed you. I was there but had on my kakii NCAngler.com cap. TimeOut (blue cap) came by around 4-5pm but had to leave. I left at 9:00 when the king deck openned up.

Hopefully next time. If you could have stayed until today you would have had a great time with spanish in that spot just outside the gate. They were pretty busy today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.