NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about taking the Saturn over to bird island and possibly fishing the creeks and channels in there. I have a catamaran that's easy to beach and hop out to fish/explore. Also thinking of throwing a cast net for some shrimp. Does this sounds reasonable for the area?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Most of the creeks and cuts around Bird Island and Sunset have only given me some little black bass. I'd prefer a skiff and the rocks of the jetty for some drum and specks.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
MR, unless you travel up Bonaparte Creek towards the Ocean, I am not really sure of a place you can get out and fish. The opening to Bonaparte Creek (ocean side) has lots of sandy beach, usualy filled with jet skiers and other boats beached enjoying the beach. To my knowledge the creeks themselves do not offer you a place where you can beach and fish (lots of oyster beds)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MR, unless you travel up Bonaparte Creek towards the Ocean, I am not really sure of a place you can get out and fish. The opening to Bonaparte Creek (ocean side) has lots of sandy beach, usualy filled with jet skiers and other boats beached enjoying the beach. To my knowledge the creeks themselves do not offer you a place where you can beach and fish (lots of oyster beds)
That sounds nice.... How's the fishing in the creek? And how is the chop in the little river inlet? I will not be going out past the jetties

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
That sounds nice.... How's the fishing in the creek? And how is the chop in the little river inlet? I will not be going out past the jetties
When I was there last week it was very rough, too rough for me to motor out to the jetties with my three kids, so we went back towards Bonaparte Creek and anchored. We immediately started catching small blue fish an croaker

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was there last week it was very rough, too rough for me to motor out to the jetties with my three kids, so we went back towards Bonaparte Creek and anchored. We immediately started catching small blue fish an croaker
Nice! Artificial or live/cut bait?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What squid did you use? I was down there this past week too and got nothing on the bait bucket white squid.

However, bloodworms in the surf were pulling spots out of the surf on every catch.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
What squid did you use? I was down there this past week too and got nothing on the bait bucket white squid.

However, bloodworms in the surf were pulling spots out of the surf on every catch.
Picked up the frozen squid from Jimmy's Marine in Ocean Isle, perfect bait for my kids to use. They were on fish the entire time. My 11yr old son started catching blue fish on squid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts