NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my boys over the the park at Shearon Harris today to try to wear them little one out. We ventured over to the fishing pier to check thing out and see what was going on. Anyway, I've only ever fished over their once a few year back and it was one of the smaller ponds. While at the pier the was a big placard talking about black bass regs. Are there really black bass in there and am I mistaken in think in thinking that black bass and smallmouth are one in the same?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Specifically, the only black bass in Shearon Harris are largemouth. To hot for smallies and spots are non-natives (may be too hot for them too).

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Norman gets pretty warm and the spots seem to thrive like no other there....is Shearon Harris that much warmer?

Sent from my kayak...
shouldn't be hotter,,,,,also, no warmwater from plant is discharged into main lake.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Water from Harris dumps into the Cape Fear after a coupla miles of cooling on it's journey.
The main lake is not even the primary water draw.
It's a back up water supply. Water to cool a core gone mad.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Kind of my train of thought as well. If they can live in Norman it seems they could survive in a lot of waters...
They could probably survive but I doubt they would thrive. Harris is not the kind of reservior that spots like, they tend to like the same kinds of waters that smallmouth like. Deep, clear water, lots of rock. From what I know of Harris it is relatively shallow and full of grass. Not really spot water.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
They could probably survive but I doubt they would thrive. Harris is not the kind of reservior that spots like, they tend to like the same kinds of waters that smallmouth like. Deep, clear water, lots of rock. From what I know of Harris it is relatively shallow and full of grass. Not really spot water.
This may be. The point I was trying to make was that virtually every place they've been known to get a foothold ends up being full of them. Not just these lakes but the rivers also. Doesn't take long and it's close to irreversible.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Kind of my train of thought as well. If they can live in Norman it seems they could survive in a lot of waters...
Think thermocline. Norman is very deep; the deeper, the cooler. That's why they thrive. how/ why they "survive" is another deal.
Fish the clear waters of Norman and you'll sometimes see the spots come almost vertical, out of the depths, to grab your lure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've heard of a few spotted bass bring caught in harris. They were originally stocked in the upper little river and have made it to Cape fear where they are extremely abundant. (I seldom catch any in little river since they quit stocking them).
I'm not sure if birds carried the eggs or if someone transplanted them but I've seen several reports of spotted bass in harris.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Think thermocline. Norman is very deep; the deeper, the cooler. That's why they thrive. how/ why they "survive" is another deal.
Fish the clear waters of Norman and you'll sometimes see the spots come almost vertical, out of the depths, to grab your lure.
Deeper=cooler, yes.....I guess with what I'm looking at is the fish kills that have taken place there with the heat....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts