NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first year surf fishing and I have never caught any black drum until a few weeks ago fishing the fort fisher area.. My question about the drum is what is the worm like things coming out of the black drum... they came from all parts of the fish that we caught... Tale, belly, gills etc.... Just wondering what this was cause a friend of mine and myself have no ideal what it is besides worms.... Thanks for any info on this and by the way when you pull on them they come out a ways and when you turn loose they go right back in the fish......

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Shakespeare - Great reference - thanks for the link.

According to that article, the worm doesn't pose any health problems for humans.

Another interesting tidbit from the article is that the cleaner the water, the more likely the fish will have worms.

I rarely see worms in the drum and trout down here....hum, maybe that isn't good after all......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep these worms are on the outside and they are several inches long and like I said you can pull them out a ways and they will go right back into the fish... They were several on each one and well it just didnt look right... I called the division of marine fisheries and alls the fellow told me was not to eat them.... I really wish I would have taken pics of them and been able to get you guys some more details but thats about it....

Thanks for all replies...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.