NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about doing this. Haven't set a specific date but I have a few paddlers interested already and will probably work one out soon. Looking for input on best option for viewing and fishing. From Black River Preserve site:
Several put-ins and boat landings provide access to some of the most scenic parts of the river:
  1. The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission has two public boat landings on the river: one is located approximately five miles north of Beatty’s Bridge on Ivanhoe Road and the other is located just west of the 11/53 bridge off Route 53.
  2. You can access the river fairly easily from either side of Beatty’s Bridge. There is a sandy bank under the bridge that provides good canoe access.
  3. You can access the river by canoe from the Route 11/53 Bridge located just outside of Atkinson.
Here are a few options for a daylong boat trip on the Black River:

1. Put in at the Wildlife Resources Commission public landing approximately five miles north of Beatty's Bridge on Ivanhoe Road and take out at Beatty’s Bridge. This stretch is about nine river miles and passes through some bottomland hardwood areas as well as cypress swamp. You can park a car on the side of the road at Beatty's Bridge.
  2. If you are ambitious, you could put in early in the morning at Beatty's Bridge and canoe about 14 miles to another Wildlife Commission public boat landing that is about one and a half miles south of the 11/53 bridge just outside of Atkinson off Route 3. This stretch of the river contains Larkin's Cove and Three Sisters, sites where the oldest known stands of bald cypress have been found.
  3. Another option is to park and put in at the second Wildlife Commission landing and canoe upstream toward Three Sisters. This is a nice area because it contains several coves with ancient cypress.
​​​I am considering the last option - single point access, paddling back up and in. But open to input...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Looks a lot like the Edisto down in SC. One thing I learned about those black water swamp rivers is if the water is high, the bass will get way back in the swamp and can be really hard to access. I've had better luck when the water is low and the bass are forced into the main river channel. Also even if you bushwack way back in there casting is really hard...with a flyrod anyway.

Look for oxbow lakes on Google Earth. You might not see them from the river but they can hold concentrations of fish at times.

Those rivers can be heartbreaking beautiful.

Also watch out for wasp nests. They just seem to thrive in those swampy areas and have a bad tendency to build nests in the worst places for paddlers.

Trying to find bass but getting nowhere...

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Looks a lot like the Edisto down in SC. One thing I learned about those black water swamp rivers is if the water is high, the bass will get way back in the swamp and can be really hard to access. I've had better luck when the water is low and the bass are forced into the main river channel. Also even if you bushwack way back in there casting is really hard...with a flyrod anyway.

Look for oxbow lakes on Google Earth. You might not see them from the river but they can hold concentrations of fish at times.

Also watch out for wasp nests. They just seem to thrive in those swampy areas and have a bad tendency to build nests in the worst places for paddlers.

Trying to find bass but getting nowhere..

This is dead on....I will not even try to fish some of my blackwater spots when the water is up in the trees except maybe for shad during the run and maybe catfish.....bass and bream forget it in high water. I aint that good. Low water is best.

Mack

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Thinking about doing this. Haven't set a specific date but I have a few paddlers interested already and will probably work one out soon. Looking for input on best option for viewing and fishing. From Black River Preserve site:​​​I am considering the last option - single point access, paddling back up and in. But open to input...
been to three sisters......there is also a private pay ramp at 11/53..........The wildllife ramp is down from it.....a very good 90 degree right turn in the river between the 2.....that is one of the places I have seen sturgeon......

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am down to join. I live in Wilmington and have wanted to try out the Black River for some time. our shop at work is 20 mins from it and I pass over the river at 11/53 all the time. I am trying to fish somewhere up here this weekend.

What is the three sisters yal are mentioning?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I will go if I can!

I can't seem to find 3 sisters swamp on the map. Is it at the King's branch? found beatty's bridge and Ivanhoe and the tomahawk bridge..

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I will go if I can!

I can't seem to find 3 sisters swamp on the map. Is it at the King's branch? found beatty's bridge and Ivanhoe and the tomahawk bridge..
3 sisters should be below Newby's ramp(Hwy 11&53) and above the wildlife ramp so maybe a mile below 53...at least that is where I have always thought 3 sisters to be....

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
There are a few (though very) old school canoe guys still around (who struggle uploading photos). We generally ferry all the stuff for the storage challenged yak guys on camping trips.....I've got a later version Old Town warhorse.

Water Boat Sky Cloud Vehicle

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.