NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_river What are your thoughts on blackwater effecting fish growth. You always hear about big panfish in black water but this article says that blackwater has less nutrients. Maybe these aren't fish growing nutrients tho. The blackwater creek I've been fishing has had awesome clarity lately. At least 4 feet and it makes for a beautiful setting.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
But it says as a result the flora and fauna is different, not absent. You have been doing pretty well lately in it. You are pretty close to a mixing zone where a non blackwater flow comes through. I like blackwater paddling and hope to do a lot. I hope the fish cooperate there.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O I'm not complaining about the fishing. Me and my brother in law caught a total of 35 panfish and one striper yesterday. Just found it interesting they mention it has less nutrients than whitewater rivers. Just got to researching it a bit after I saw your thread about the black river.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
There is a guy up in Elizabeth City that fishes a lot of blackwater off the Albermarle and slays them and gets a few citation size in the mix. Growing up, the best panfishing I did was in FL blackwater but there were springs that fed into it also. Super low flow bogs are probably not as good though.

·
Registered
721 Posts
from my experience, black water doesn't hurt anything until the tannins are at such a level as to cause a decrease in the pH drastic enough to stunt growth or prevent habitation. so pretty much everywhere i fish is ok, until you get into some rarely released lowgrounds or way up in dismal swamp. some of the largest fish i have seen have come out of alligator and pasquotank rivers which are so dark sometimes it makes a mirror.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I think the term it is too vague/generic to make anything more than general statements about. If it has a discernible current, that is different than a backwater. Big difference whether it is drainage "passing through" or groundwater welling up. If a stinky bog makes your eyes water, the fishing might not be so good... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.