NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day today with the family at the Cape. We set out hoping the horses would grace us with their presence and then try to find some blow toads. The horses didn't disappoint, they were hanging out in the open as we came through short turn and it didn't take long to find the blow toads. It was nonstop action from the time my first mate set the anchor, until he pulled it up and received a promotion to Captain. I don't know how many puffers were caught, but I do know that I stayed busy baiting up one rod and simultaneously removing two fish from another. The majority of them ran small, but there were some really big ones in the mix as well. 8 feet of water, hand tied 2 hook bottom rigs with cut shrimp for bait.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some of the best meat you will ever taste but you have to clean them right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZMyGLYjuE
If it was as hard as that guy made it look I would throw them back! They are a great eating fish, probably my favorite and definitely a favorite of the kids. We had a nice mess of them last night. The meat is very firm, and is textured almost like chicken. Last night I used the East Coast Sports method of cleaning because my skinning pliers had somehow broken after 15 plus years of use, but I prefer the method demonstrated by trashfish.com. Here's the link to the East Coast Sports method, due to inappropriate language, I will not link the trashfish.com video, but if anyone would like to see it send me a pm and I will send it to you. http://youtu.be/h-TH0EY_Yv8

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good job trigger and a great looking crew, my first mate would love pulling those in, we will surely try that some time this summer, do they bite there most of the year?
Thanks, it is a blast and the kids absolutely love it. Some really good eating too!

I'm not sure where they go or where they come from, but the best bite is usually the first 3 weeks of April. After that, there'll be a few here and there, but it's not fast and furious like it is now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.