NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Never heard of any in there...lots of channels and a few flatheads though it wouldn't surprise me if someone has put some in there

·
Registered
139 Posts
I haven't heard of any big ones but I've caught a few while crappie fishing deep during the winter. Nothing breaking ten pounds though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sorry folks thats a big channel cat. I have caught some big channels in the mid 20's. If you look at the head, it's a channel. When they get big like that you have to look twice sometimes to ID them. Badin has alot of big channels like that. The biggest one I got from there was at 24lbs. I got a 30lb bluecat lying right next to it. Big difference.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I catch big channels on badin two ways. One is in the springtime up river when the water hits 55*-62*. Thats when the really big ones are up there. Mostly on cutbait. In the summer try underwater humps, channel ledges with rocks or brushpiles 10-15' with live bream. Or if you can find stump fields, again with livebait. If you want to catch numbers try the falltime at badin with cut or live shad/herring.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry folks thats a big channel cat. I have caught some big channels in the mid 20's. If you look at the head, it's a channel. When they get big like that you have to look twice sometimes to ID them. Badin has alot of big channels like that. The biggest one I got from there was at 24lbs. I got a 30lb bluecat lying right next to it. Big difference.

No, it isn't a channel cat. I've been catching blue cats since I was a small child and have caught thousands of both blues and channels and I know without a doubt what kind of cat I've caught.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes but how many really big channel cats have you caught. Do yourself a favor, on the net look at some of the gaint red river channel cats. Specifly the head. Bluecat heads are different. I'm in the same boat as you with the numbers of cats I;'ve caught. You have to ask yourself, how many huge channel cats do they catch say east of the Yadkin. You don't hear of that many at all. I've caught 4 big channels from badin 19-26lbs, so I do have alittle experience with them.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I have to admit first glance I said Blue. But it does have that puckered nose of a huge channel. The state record is 21 pounds because when they get that big people most likely think blue.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
The failsafe for identifying catfish is without a doubt the anal fin. Look it up, no seriously look it up. Or better yet call a biologist.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
seen enough channels east of the Yadkin that were over 20 to know that there are plenty over this way......Fishincary and my self have caught 1 over 20 here in cary....A 22 lber was the winner in a J and J catfish tournament on Jordan back in the 90;s....
they are in kerr too as well......Kerr has produced bigger cats than any Yadkin lake but that is north.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, I have caught big channels before and I know the difference. One thing I'd like to point out here......You all are looking at a picture, I saw the LIVE fish at every angle possible and It is without any doubt a blue. If you still question it, we will have to get together and go catch it so you can see for yourself....It was released into my pond and has been caught twice this year by my nephew.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.