NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when the blue fin tuna start to show up off of Cape Lookout around the morehead city/beaufort area?? I know its got to get alot cooler but when?? Water temp? Water depths? Also Ive heard of trolling for them but what do you pull? Any other ways of catching them? Thanks guys

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
December and January are the best two months for Giant BFT out of Morehead. Troll a BlueWater Candy JAG (pink or pink and white) with a big ballyhoo on a 10/0 hook with a 100# fluorocarbon leader. Stick your baits WAY BACK behind the boat. I'd recommend having an 80W or 130 reel - you will need lots of line. You also should invest in a good harpon and some other gear.

I've heard of folks catching them vertical jigging (butterfly or yo-yo jigging some call it) but never hooked one myself that way. Might be fun on a 100 pound fish but not sure I'd want to hook up a 500+ pound BFT that way.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Stimulas - you also want to check out the HMS Permit requirements:

Atlantic HMS Angling Permit (Recreational) Description
All owners/operators of vessels fishing recreationally for and/or retaining regulated Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (Atlantic tunas, sharks, swordfish and billfish) in the Atlantic Ocean, including the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, must obtain an Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) permit. Similar to Atlantic tunas permits, 2009 Atlantic HMS permits cost $16.00 and will be valid from the date of issuance through December 31, 2009.

hmspermits.noaa.gov

·
Registered
13 Posts
They start showing up around Thanksgiving but, the prime time is Dec and Jan. I would step up the flouro to 180-220 then go down if the bite is slow. Don't forget about a naked bait on the down low

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.