NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I was just wondering ....It is about time for the blue fish to be running isn't it?
Any suggestions on where to go for them? I am going to start putting in at the Freeman Creek boat ramp on Legeune and head out from there. So any spots close to there would be great.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The blues have arrived. But so far mainly the smaller ones and a lot of straglers. I have seen several schools though.

If you plan to stay inside, you will need to be pretty close to the inlet but your best chances are outside of the inlet. You don't need to go far off shore - usually anywhere from the surf out to 3 miles will produce blues. Look for the birds circling and diving -that is the best indicator a school is working the area. You might also find some False Albacore or Bonito under those birds.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
:confused: I was just wondering ....It is about time for the blue fish to be running isn't it?
Any suggestions on where to go for them? I am going to start putting in at the Freeman Creek boat ramp on Legeune and head out from there. So any spots close to there would be great.
If you are putting in at Freeman Creek, on the ICU, I would try Brown's since you will only be a mile from there. There usually are a few chopper blues around the inlets this time of year. Since you are so far up the intracoastal, you could also ride to Swansboro, very short boat trip also.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Topsail, I have jigged the Gotcha's seems my best luck has been trolling Clark spoons for spanish and picking up blues. Had not targeted blues before but thought I try this year and was wondering of any other good rigs and or baits.
Thanks again, I always appreciate your posts!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yeah, Mike has good info there. Clark spoons and Johnson spoons and the ol gotcha's for sure.
You can catch them on small bird rigs trolling as well.
4 inch bird with small (maybe 3" squid bodies) and a clark spoon in the OO or 1/0 size will catch'm up too.

The rigs we favored are Boone pink bird with 3 clear squids and the spoon size mentioned above.
Will work on pretty much everything from spanish, false ablies, blues...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I find that blues will hit most anything shinny presented while trolling or casting if they are within range. One thing you don't want to overlook is that blue fish used for cut bait is probably one of the most effective baits for any of the near shore species and to catch more blue fish. It's my bait of choice when fishing for sea mullet. To catch sea mullet offshore drifting in about 15 ft. water behind breakers on falling tide. Use speck rigs or in my case some kinky pinky flies baited with very small cuts of blue fish weighted to conditions. I use light weight spinner with 8-10 lb. test. Not meaning to change direction of thread--just pointing out another good use of blue fish other than eating them.;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
try topwater plugs about three to four inches long. not alot of people sell them down here and when the big schools start rolling in just throw that on and youll hit like crazy. the blue and white ones or just plain silver have worked the best for me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.