NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a thought and I figure at least one of you guys have thought of too and tried it. I hear that carp is a good cutbait for catfish. I wonder if blues that have been in the freezer a little too long would work for catfish?

We usually eat blues pretty soon after we catch them. But a couple months ago, my wife told me that she had just thrown out 1-2 bluefish fillet. We must have missed them when we ate them last. Then it occured to me that it may have been a good catfish bait.

Anone ever tried it?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I have never caught big cats on them but I have caught 2-15lb fish. I sprinkle garlic on too, sometimes some menhaden oil. I've used a lot of different fish for cat bait but in all cases nothing beats fresh. Most cats are scavengers anyway. Smaller they are the less picky they are too.

Reactions: Fruitbat

·
Registered
408 Posts
Right now with the water temps dropping use livebait. They get real aggressive this time of year. I usally do well with live whiteperch. Yesterday I got a 38lber using perch on a floatrig, that was alot of fun. I use cutbait but not until Nov. White Fin Food Walking shoe Fish

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
A catfish will eat anything. I don't think the choice of bait is as important as freshness of bait is. Growing up people always told me catfish bait had to stink and you had to smell like a pole cat when you got home.

You catch more off fresh dead than rot dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.