NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best leader to use for bluefish. Hopefully big ones. Would 80lb braid work for leader? Do any of you guys use the premade leaders with the snaps you can buy anywhere? Currently planning on using a floating stickbait/jerkbait.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
80 lb braid is a whole different animal than 15lb. 80 lb braid will stand up to teeth better than mono of equal diameter will imo.
Braid is not stiff, does not a good leader material. Mono or FC is better than braid.
Keep your jig or lure moving & you won't get cut off.
9.75 # Blue, topwater on a Trout rod. ........ ICM

View attachment 70580 View attachment 70581 Think the second Chopper was around10# while Bonito fishing, 20# FC leader small jig.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
25# Fluro is the only way to go. Helps with Spanish too, when they get leader shy
that is a good point. Several years ago when I was down at the beach in the spring an knew nothing about what I was fishing for, the guy behind the counter sold me a few Hopkins. When I came back for more, he told me about the leaders and I started using them and the blue fish bite didn't slow down. But I didn't catch Spanish in the surf until I switched flouro but I was specifically targeting Spanish. I thought the flouro was risky for blues. There are a few people whose opinion I respect in this thread saying flouro is fine, so I will switch the next time I fish for them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If I'm after just blues I use black wire, if I'm targeting spanish I use 25lb fluorocarbon but that is on my trolling rigs, if I'm casting to spanish I use 20lb flourocarbon.
I normally only target blues when the birds are working the water and I just want to join in the frenzy.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use 30lb mono, if the Spanish show I switch to 20 or 25 flouro and speed up my retrieve. Spanish like it fast!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
X2 in the long shank single hooks. A lot less trouble to remove and a lot easier on the fish.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I use wire when chunking or other kinds of bait fishing. When using lures I use 40# mono. Lures are usually AVA's on a fast retrieve so the fish is hooked in the mouth. Bait can be sucked down it's gullet before you have a chance to react so that's why the wire.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.