NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 3 eating sized blues for dinner. I've only deep fried them but don't want to mess with that tonight . Any other good recipes ? Pan seared, baked , etc ?

And yes, I'm one of the small % who really likes fresh bluefish- caught em and bled them this morning.

Never tried bleeding a fish before, was surprised there wasn't more blood/ I cut across gills. Wrong spot?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I like to bake fish with Old Bay seasoning
That's the only way I cook fish. Never tried it with blue but for crappie, trout, and flounder it tastes excellent. I grease the pan with olive oil and rub both sides of the fish in it. Then I rub a few drops of lemon juice on each fillet then sprinkle with old bay or other seasoning (tastes good even with none). I bake it like you said, 355-375 until it's flakey.

Disclaimer: I don't really like seafood but this way even I enjoy it. Makes great sandwiches.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I only do this with bluefish.....

Coat with Italian dressing and place on a broiler pan. Instead of water at the bottom of the broiler pan use apple juice. Broil on high until it flakes easily (3-5 minutes).
I suddenly want to go catch a few blues for dinner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My favorite is smoked, but I don't usually smoke unless I have at least a half dozen small blues.

Otherwise with fillets, coat a hot cast-iron with olive oil, sear for a couple of minutes each side (skin-side first if you leave the skin on for crispy skin), and eat as-is or with some fresh squeezed lemon.

It's been too long since I've gotten out...the cool mornings we start to get this time of year always make me want to make a bee-line for the coast to throw metals at blues and spanish...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Get a nice cedar plank. Rub with oil, place your filets on the plank and shake with Cajun seasoning,
lemon juice and a bit of red pepper. Broil for 7 mins,
toss the bluefish to the cat and eat the plank..

·
Registered
768 Posts
Get a nice cedar plank. Rub with oil, place your filets on the plank and shake with Cajun seasoning,
lemon juice and a bit of red pepper. Broil for 7 mins,
toss the bluefish to the cat and eat the plank..

Its not that bad now. Love the humor..........love the sig even more!! Where's that "thumbs up" emoticon when we need it?!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I smoked bluefish once and messed something up because it was terrible. Not only did it taste bad, but smelled horrendous. My wife was pushing to get rid of the whole refrigerator because the smell permeated the whole thing. After two weeks and a million boxes of baking soda things returned to normal. Now I am not allowed to try again.

i put salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder on the filets then wrap them in foil with lemons and butter and throw them on a medium/hot grill. Check after 5 minutes or so until they flake.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Really the hardest part is keeping them lit...

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro
This from a Colorado native ... what can you expect though?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I'll have to try some of those recipes because the only way I've been able to eat blue fish is smoked and then made a salad like tuna salad.
My son is a very good cook and he recently made fish tacos with a drum I gave him to take to a cook out. Obviously a different tasting fish but I'd think maybe an overnight marinade and baking with red onion would be OK for tacos?? I remember way back that people would say soak them in milk over night. Never tried it.
They are sure fun to catch but my pallet doesn't crave them and I'm of Irish decent so cardboard is considered a delicacy.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano. dip fillets in milk and bread them, bake for 9 minutes at 500 degrees, remove from oven, add cheddar cheese over the top, cook for one more minute. this is my go to for spanish but works well with blues too.

if its real small blues I also like to fry the heck out of them in real thin strips so that they are crispy

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
if its real small blues I also like to fry the heck out of them in real thin strips so that they are crispy
I always knew you were a "blue chip" kinda guy!

(Striving to be rich/successful for those of you who didn't get the reference)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've never understood why more people don't like blues. They are delicious fresh and I like them just fine out of the freezer. My favorite part is that dark strip of meat by the lateral line. If I'm not frying them, I like to season with butter and cajun seasoning and the pan sear for 2 minutes on each side. Delicious!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.