NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Johnnie Mercer on May 12 and 13th, a little slow but managed to hit blues and hooked into one Chopper, enjoyed talking to Rick and the bunch. You have a very nice facility, hope to be down a couple of more time this summer and fall.

Ken from PA.

( Scott,s Dad)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Glad to hear it was half-way decent at Johnnie Mercer's. Last time I fished there, it was still a wooden pier.

Not to high-jack the thread, but you touched on something that has always amused me. Bluefish nicknames... I know bluefish are sought as a sportfish, but growing up on Bogue sound, the smallest blues (snappers) were in a league with pinfish as nuisance fish. Anyway, blues are the only fish I know of with such detailed, categorical nicknames. I'll list what I can below and hope that others will chime in just for giggles:

1. Snappers are less than a foot (mullet and pogies thieves, leaving only the head on the hook)
  2. Cocktails 1 to 2 pounders
  3. Tailers or tailors - 2 -5 lbers
  4. Choppers - 5-10 lbers
  5. Slammers (or sometimes aligators/gators) - 10 + lbs

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard, maplehofe. Thanks for posting. Those snapper blues make fine king baits. Anything between 1-3 lbs I like to fillet and poach and use to make fish salad. Big blues (10+) we used to filllet, cut out the red meat and freeze the whole fillets. When you got ready for some fine eatin' you cleaned up the sink nice and clean and put in enough water to submege the fillet and the squeezed the juice from an orange or two into the water with the fillet and let the fillet thorughly thaw out. The thawed fillet was grilled whole and basted with the juice of yet another orange. We had no problems with what to do with left overs cause there never was any. I haven't done that in years though. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I agree the snappers are good baits.... 'bout only good use I've found for them. Problem is, seems I can never catch them when I WANT them.

Hope to catch some this Friday for Cobia bait (for light lining on a ballon rig, I use dead pogies on the bottom).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.