NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be in the market for a new boat , and since I plan on relocating To Beaufort in the near future I need to know What the maximum draft should be to get into Redfish territory in the marsh grass etc. I will be fishing the area of Pamlico sound, South River, Adams creek area ( directly accross the river from Oriental) as well as some deeper water. I am looking at boats that have a 15" to 2' draft. Is this too deep?
Should I plan on having a skiff for the shallows? I fish the ten thousand Islands in a Mako 191 with 18" draft but can not get into a lot of the back country.
I am thinking of an Everglades 243

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Polar skiff makes nice bay/flats shallow draft fisher
Sea Pro SV2300
Sweetwater Flat's Shallow draft boats

My bud Joe has a SV2300 Sea Pro with 225 Yamaha on his,,, nice rig!!! and he loves it. It's enough boat to even venture offshore out to 10-15 miles on a good day.. he mainly fishes the inside though.

The Sea Pro has a 11 or 12 inch draft, Joe uses a trolling motor deal to poke around on the flats/grasses instead of a push pole and he say's he's fished some very shallow areas (Coastal Georgia)

Some ideas

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mako,

Not sure what the answer to your draft question is. From all I've read so far though, hunting reds in the Marshs often involves waters that are at times 8 to 12 inches deep.

I've done quite a bit of reading while I've been deployed as to where to find the reds and trout in our area ( I am in havelock) and the marhes around Beaufort seem to be a good place to fish. Esp the Newport river area.

I'd love to toss a line with you some time. Your ride or mine. I'll be home in about 2 weeks.. maybe we can hook up after Turkey seaosn.

Rye

·
Registered
117 Posts
Before you buy an Everglades 243, you owe it to yourself to go see David Gause's Gausebuilts in 23' or 26' up in Tarpon Springs. I have been in some very shallow water with David on a 23. They are truly awesome. You'll be glad you looked.
Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, the polar sure looks nice , and The Gause 23 and 26 are fantastic, they are slightly pricier than the everglades but the hold back is that at this time there is a 6 month wait to get a 23 and 11 months or more to get a 26. I have signed on an :D Everglades 243, I just couldn't change my mind once I was in that boat:D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.