NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out a jon boat at Bass Pro Shops in Raleigh a while back and I think it sounds like a good deal. I can't go into much detail about the boat itself because the boat isn't listed on the website. It's a good size jon boat, something like 16' long and at least 48" wide on the bottom with a v-hull. I believe it had a steering console and decks front and rear with seats on them. The thing that got me thinking it was a good deal was the fact that it has a 40hp Mercury motor on it and it comes with a trailer for $6000. So you're spending $4000 on the motor and another $2000 for a decent size jon boat with decks, a steering console and a trailer.

What do ya'll think? I don't think there was any fine print saying that it was extra for the seats, trailer or steering console.

That's the boat I want, the one I'm wanting to get rid of is an old Ranger.

Does anyone think there will be any interest in the classifieds for a 1970-something Ranger (Aztec I think), the trailer and a 135hp Evinrude plus a 140hp evinrude to go with it? The boat and motors needs some tlc.

The 140hp motor has low compression on two cylinders and had it's heads pulled off by a mechanic that just snugged them back down when the guy I got it from told him that he didn't want to pay $500 to get it fixed so it'll probably need piston rings and head gaskets. I think there is also a problem with the hydraulics for the trim.

The 135hp motor was rebuilt for the guy I got it from but only ran once on a stand after the rebuild, it had water in one of the cylinders from laying on its side and being rained on, along with the fuel line being dry rotted where it attaches to the motor.

The boat needs the back two seats and the back for one of the front seats. It also needs a bilge pump, carpet, paint on the top of the boat and some wiring needs to be straightened out with the trolling motor.

I'm not wanting a lot for the boat+motors, I just want to know if it will be worth the time to take the tarp off it and snap some pictures to list it in the classifieds.

That bass boat sure was a lot of fun when the motor was running because of how fast it was but I think the smaller jon boat would be much better for fishing than that huge bass boat and I am wanting a new boat because of the reliability factor.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Roughly what yr models are the motors? What kind of shape is the trailer in and do you have any titles/paperwork? Be sure and check out AK MCcallums website if you are interested in aluminum boats. $6k doesn't sound right to me. Seems low for a CC and a 40hp new. http://www.akmccallumco.com/

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Somebody may want that old Ranger as a restoration project. I know there are a few loyal Skeeter owners out there who have bought and restored some of the early Skeeters just for the nostalgia factor of it. Might be a good idea to list it on a national website like Bass Boat central. If someone wants it, they will drive to get it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Late 80's models maybe. Late 70's not so much so for a restore project. In running order, no rot, transom checks out, and trailer in decent condition, I would value it at around 1200. That's unload it and take it for a spin condition.

If there is any rot, there is probably quite a bit of rot on a boat of that age. Both wood and fiberglass rot.
Minimum to drop stringers, sole, and transom in it correctly, 2500 doing it yourself. Very labor intensive. If you aren't experienced you'll wind up overwhelmed and likely never see the project through.
You could do it cheaper on the cheap cobbling.

Just hard to tell until you take a rubber mallet, a hammer and and even a drill, and start investigating. Especially if it's been kept outside.
Tap around the transom with a hammer listening for pitch changes. if it's suspect drill small holes low on the transom and inspect the wood shavings.

Soft spots in the sole on a boat that old will likely include stringer rot and water saturated foam . Soles rot from the bottom up, not the top down. The top of the sole will go through wet dry cycles. Underneath the sole gets wet and stays wet for long periods.

If you've got sole rot and stringer rot, you'll have won the lottery if the transom doesn't have some rot as well.
You are dealing with a 30 something year old boat. It's going to have issues unless well cared for.

In this case, with a boat not running and not in usable condition you may be better off advertising the trailer for sale on the condition everything goes with the trailer. It may move it.

Another option, scrap the motors for scrap value, use that money to scrap the hull, and sell the trailer. People are always looking for trailers. You can get something out of it.

Or scrap the motors and hull, put a little into the trailer and use that trailer for a new boat which will save some money on the new purchase.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
If the motors are 70s or newer and not electric shift models I might be interested in them for parts/rebuilds. Have to be cheap for me to haul all the way to Sanford though. Any trailer fit to hold a boat is worth $150 min and any boat with a solid transom and floor is worth a couple of hundred to someone who is landlocked. Looks only matter to some. Gotta have some basic paperwork though as its more expense to register if you don't.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked out AK McCallum because that's where I got my Bass Hunter but their prices seem really high for complete packages. The price seems right at a glance for the one at Bass Pro because I was thinking $4000 for the motor, probably $600 for the boat and the other $1400 for the trailer along with the accessories that go in the boat. I need to run back up there and check it out again since I can't look at it online.

I don't believe there are any hull issues with the ranger and there is no paperwork but I might be able to get it. The guy I got it from got it through family and never got a title for the trailer but he kept the registration up to date and used the boat for quite a few years.
The trailer is in great shape aside from the wiring for the lights needing some attention.
The hull has good paint on the bottom and has had a repair on the loop that is used to pull it onto the trailer. The top rails need paint because the fiberglass is exposed so you don't want to rest your arms on it unless you like being itchy.

I think the motors are between 1975 and 1978. The model number on the one that has the compression issue is 140843c and the other one is 135383m.

My plan was to fix the compression issue on the 140hp and get it back on the water but I decided to put the 135hp motor on the boat since the guy I got that one from had that motor rebuilt but it has been sitting since I put that motor on the boat and that motor sat for at least 6 years before I got it.

When I say I wouldn't ask much I meant just a few hundred bucks since the trailer is in great shape and everything else could be good with a little work.

I have a couple pictures of it
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Boat trailer
Tire Plant Boat Wheel Boat trailer
Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle
Plant Self-propelled artillery Window Combat vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had an old Hydra Sports X270 bass boat with a 'Rude 150XP and when the transom gave out on the boat I sold the motor off of it, kept all the wire harnesses I JUST built and installed and seats, scrapped hull and sold trailer for lik $300.

If you don't mind waiting around for someone to buy it then, posting an ad on craigslist is free and there is always somebody out there looking for a project. There is a good following on Rangers too. I wouldn't discount any rot too quickly as most people who would want that boat for a quick project to get running and go fishing probably wouldn't worry about a rotted area in a stringer or deck. Believe it or not, there are folks who will lay a piece of plywood down it lieu of a rotted deck and go fishing. The transom is something that needs to be solid.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
the big catch is paperwork. Not having that right makes it hard to sell. Otherwise, if it floats someone wants it. Being shorebound and loving to fish in this state is junk!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you don't mind waiting around for someone to buy it then, posting an ad on craigslist is free and there is always somebody out there looking for a project. There is a good following on Rangers too. I wouldn't discount any rot too quickly as most people who would want that boat for a quick project to get running and go fishing probably wouldn't worry about a rotted area in a stringer or deck. Believe it or not, there are folks who will lay a piece of plywood down it lieu of a rotted deck and go fishing. The transom is something that needs to be solid.
Idiots.
The problem is idiots rarely go boating alone. They choose to take women, kids, and friends with them.
The stringers and transom are the back bone to the whole boat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
New boat fever! I hear you. I have it all the time.

Regarding the new boat at Bass Pro......
Sometimes their pricing includes two prices: the top price in larger font is base model no accessories. The bottom price on the tag (in much smaller font) says something like "Boat as shown here"

I would go there and take a lot of detailed pics before purchase and get home and make a list of all additional expenses you will have to make it how you want it.

Battery included?
Is it wired with nav and anchor lights?
Does it have a fuse block and leads to run your accessories from or will all that have to be from scratch?
How will you mount a trolling motor?
Trailer have a jack on it, or is it set on s stand?
Bilge pump?
etc, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the big catch is paperwork. Not having that right makes it hard to sell. Otherwise, if it floats someone wants it. Being shorebound and loving to fish in this state is junk!
I hear ya on that one, I'm always asking around for ponds to fish in but have only gotten a couple hits on ponds that are fished out because so many people that go to them keep what they catch. Another thing I do is check out the GIS websites for whatever county I see a pond in to see who owns it in the hopes that I or someone I know knows the owner. I called a company in Tennessee the other day that acquired Cherokee Land Group because they own some land that has a couple ponds on it that my wifes dad used to fish in when he was a kid but that was a bust. Cherokee Land Group gives out permits for free to fish in ponds on their property but that particular property is up for sale so they aren't giving permits out for it right now. Hopefully it doesn't sell so they will give them out in the future.

New boat fever! I hear you. I have it all the time.

Regarding the new boat at Bass Pro......
Sometimes their pricing includes two prices: the top price in larger font is base model no accessories. The bottom price on the tag (in much smaller font) says something like "Boat as shown here"

I would go there and take a lot of detailed pics before purchase and get home and make a list of all additional expenses you will have to make it how you want it.

Battery included?
Is it wired with nav and anchor lights?
Does it have a fuse block and leads to run your accessories from or will all that have to be from scratch?
How will you mount a trolling motor?
Trailer have a jack on it, or is it set on s stand?
Bilge pump?
etc, etc.
Reading your list makes me really want to run back up there to see the fine print, I might do it Monday since I'm off that day.

I had an old Hydra Sports X270 bass boat with a 'Rude 150XP and when the transom gave out on the boat I sold the motor off of it, kept all the wire harnesses I JUST built and installed and seats, scrapped hull and sold trailer for lik $300.

Craigslist is something to think about but I'm paranoid about people that I don't know coming to my house so if I go that route then I'll have to just meet them somewhere with the boat.
The deck is solid and as far as i Know the transom is too, I have no idea about the stringers. It has always been parked on an incline and covered with the plug out so it hasn't had any standing water in the boat.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Any boat that age that has been stored outside with or without cover is highly suspect.
There are clues. The gel coat or lack there of on the gunnels suggests that it's spent a lot of time not covered. Top sides need painting? Suggests that it's spent a lot of of time not covered.
You can only imagine if the top looks like that what it may look like where you can't see.

Just sayin.......the easiest fastest way to get out from under it even if it costs you a little to get out from under it, the quicker you can celebrate it's gone. That boat is a money pit. There is nothing there to restore. The motors are too old for today's gas prices. Big old motors love gas. If that's all the motor someone could afford.....they are going to have a hard time affording to run it.

Just keeping it real. I don't blow smoke.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I get the being paranoid about craigslist but I have bought and sold a lot of boats and boat parts on craigslist without issue.

I am very sure that if you put that on the Raleigh craigslist your email would blow up. I put a broken, crappy Force 50 on craigslist for parts and I had dudes calling me from Charlotte for parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I get the being paranoid about craigslist but I have bought and sold a lot of boats and boat parts on craigslist without issue.

I am very sure that if you put that on the Raleigh craigslist your email would blow up. I put a broken, crappy Force 50 on craigslist for parts and I had dudes calling me from Charlotte for parts.
Same here. I sold a 1967 Johnson 20 for $650 in a few hours on Clist. The viewing audience is huge.

I always try to speak to someone on the phone first before they come. If you feel funny AT ALL, just tell them it's sold or no longer available.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I prefer the older motors. Easy to work on, cheap parts and more durable. I'll deal with bad mileage to stay on the water cheap. If you know where you're fishing and launch as close as you can you don't burn a lot when inshore. I don't think they make a 2 stroke that gets worse mileage than a Johnson/Evenrude GT/XP 150 but its one of the toughest motors on the water.

Reactions: 204Angler

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I prefer the older motors. Easy to work on, cheap parts and more durable. I'll deal with bad mileage to stay on the water cheap. If you know where you're fishing and launch as close as you can you don't burn a lot when inshore. I don't think they make a 2 stroke that gets worse mileage than a Johnson/Evenrude GT/XP 150 but its one of the toughest motors on the water.
I have a mint under 100 hours 1989 120 looper. Runs like a top. Sits on a motor stand in the shop. She loves the fuel. Great motors but too costly to use to be practical. When I dump a boat in the water, I don't want to have to stick to a fuel savings itinerary. I want to go wherever the day takes me.

I have a 27 gallon fuel tank. Almost half what this motor needs on a fishing machine. At 27 gallons, that's an 80 dollar fill up plus oil and a motor that aint going to get much more than 2 miles to the gallon. Economically you would be better off taking out a bank loan for a new motor rather than sacrificing fuel for cheap parts.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I seldom run more than 8-10 miles from my launch. If I plan to go farther I tow to a better location. Once I plane I throttle back just to keep it there. I have no need to do 40 knots plus unless I'm just doing it for fun. Most of my motors have been 1971 -81 Evinrudes 70-120hp. I had a newer Merc on my 2001 Sea Pro 150hp saltwater, It drank a lot because you get addicted to being able to fly. Was still a carbed 2 stroke so was easy to work on. Once you get into 4 strokes or new injection and computers repair and maintenance get crazy expensive and if you plan to get 20yrs out of it you will be hard pressed to do it. Lots of 500hr motors that have already had major rebuilds or expensive repairs. I just don't see it for what I do. If I were pushing big offshore boats or going long distances, with no plans of depending on long term dependability. I would opt for newer motors. I feel the same about new cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.