NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 19' Palm Beach C/C with a yamaha 115. if your not familiar with this make, it is a flat bottom bay boat with some-what of a v- bow. it has a dead rise of 12 degrees( i believe) and drafts in 6-9 inches of water. i boat in fresh water lakes all the time....high rock, badin, buggs isalnd....but never off shore. i have taken an old jon boat i had in the channels around oak island.

my question is how far off shore can i safely go with regards to wave heights and limited experience. we vacation at oak island every summer and i would like to reach some of the man made reefs. any references as to information on boating etiquette in the icw and off shore? vhf preferences? mandatory equipment on board? ......yuno, things of that nature.

thanks and good fishing!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Read the thread "16 footer on ocean." There is some good advice and wisdom to be gained from that thread. Personally I have been out in 6'-8' seas in a 14' jonboat. We didn't ship a drop but the wind was blowing against the swells and they were smooth, pretty, non-threatning types. I've seen 3 footers that you wouldn't want to go out in on a 50' sportsfisherman. The time interval between the crests really means more than height in regards to safety and comfort. The longer the interval the better. The closer you are to the storm or wind causing the swells the shorter the interval will be. Fast moving squalls can be deadly especially if they are moving downswell. If they are against the swells they tend to flatten things out . This sometimes creates a window of opportunity
for the small boater. The coast guard auxillary is a good source of info such as rules of the road and required safety gear. Antenna type and height are more important than radio brand. Take your time and pick your days. Keep an eye on the weather. Be extra careful in the inlets; Have a good time and catch some fish!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.