NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat Types

I am a new resident to Southern NC coast - Southport/Lockwood Folly,Intercostal waterway. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of boat is best for these waters.

I will be a first time owner so I want to stay around 17/19ft.

Have ruled out the Carolina Skiff for a smoother ride V-bottom. Looking at Sea Pro - Sea Fox and Sea Boss. Any information would be helpful. Is bay boat or center console any different. Appreciate your feedback

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Jhoffman and welcome to the site! There are obviously a number of great boats to choose from depending on what you're specifically looking for and how much you can spend. I bought my first boat a little over two years ago and decided to buy a Triumph. They are manufactured in Durham, NC and are made of Roplene through a computerized rotomould system using an extremely high grade of polythylene (plastic) that and is much tougher than fiberglass. You can run these boats into docks without fear of having to repair fiberglass. The manufacturing process has no styrene emissions and is recyclable so it is good for the environment. It also absorbs shock resulting in a smooth and quiet ride. I like mine so much that I started a website for Triumph owners (www.triumphowners.org) and am about to buy the 2006 215 model, so my 2003 210 is currently for sale in the classifieds section of the site. They have a 190 bay boat that is great too. If you're going offshore much I'd stick with the 210 or new 215. The boats are very easy to clean up with no waxing necessary.

My dealer is Merritt Marine in Hillsborough (www.merrittmarine.com) and I've had a positive experience with the folks at Portside Marina in Morehead City too. You can check to see who your nearest dealer is online at the Triumph site (www.triumphboats.com). I'm promoting a king and spanish mackerel fishing tournament for Triumph boat owners to be held at Portside July 22-23. Triumph will be there with their 2006 lineup. It would be a great time to check one out and speak with other owners if you're interested.

I've had mine offshore several times and also fish the Pamlico Sound/Neuse River area around Oriental with it. We also use it on the lakes around Raleigh to take the kids skiing and wakeboarding.

I'm sure others can jump in here with recommendations on Scout, Seapro, Parker and others, but I'd thought I'd share my experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I just bought a 19' MayCraft Center Console (similiar in design to Parker) with a Yamaha 115 fourstroke. The boat is made in Smithfield, NC.

I took it out for its maiden voyage and fishing trip Saturday. It handled well in the light to moderate seas with some chop on top. We went about 5 miles out. It has a very soft ride for a boat its size but like most small CC it can be a little wet up front. On Sunday took the wife and dog to Lea Island and cruisin on the waterway, it did great there too.

The Four stroke is the way to go. I think it's worth the extra money as you will save money in gas and oil. And it's quiet, very quiet for an outboard.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
First ones that come to mind are Cape Horn, McKee, Polar for around here in NC, even seen some hard workin Parkers as well.

Hand's down though, a Pioneer 197 center console
Better quality than what you are looking at. If you ever get a chance, check'm out at a local dealer

RUN far far away from Sea Fox!!!!!

Sea Boss is made from old Sea Pro molds, they're a breakawaycompany from Sea Pro just like Palmetto customs are basically high end Sea Pro's.

Triumph 17's are good boats, but I cannot recommend the 19. The 19's have problems (manufacturing wise), I have one in my yard right now and would be happy to show you what I'm talking about.

Anything begining with Sea is more than likely a South Carolina boat builder except for Sea Craft boats, and Sea Fox and Sea Boss are considered low tier "affordable" type boats, but beware,, these companies take ALOT of short cuts and you do get what you pay for with those.

Sea Pro's are considered mid tier and have decent fit finish and hold up rather well to heavy use. Pioneer's have excellent reports coming back on them as well as the new line of Scout boats. Polar, Trophy (the newer ones) have great deck layouts and features and are very competative right now.
All have received solid reviews within the industry.

Best of luck no matter what you chose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a BAY RIDER by KENCRAFT, it is a flat bottom but very heavy, well built boat. IT is 2600 pounds, and has a 115. I paid 18000.00 with a gps/fish finder(low),ship/shore radio, live bait well. I have had it a year now and am really impressed with the construction. It is 20 foot. With a gal. trailer. recessed cleats, but remember flat bottom boats are wet boats, but i fish inside and along the beach, so it is great for that, and the trolling motor is great for the marshy areas....SHOP, AND KNOW WHAT KIND OF FISHING YOU WANT TO DO< BEFORE YOU BUY.....GOOD LUCK,BUDDY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.