NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys
My wife and I inherited a 16 ft flat bottom aluminum boat with a 25hp Suzuki. The boat is in good shape and the motor runs but the shift linkage that goes from the power head to the lower unit is bad. So long story short it runs but cant shift. I messed around with it and decided to take it to a suzuki dealer in Burlington. Those guys worked on it for a few weeks and determined that they cant separate the power head from the lower unit to get to the shift linkage to replace it. They have drilled out the bolts that connect it and everything. This motor is a 95 and has been in salt since it was new. So everything is corroded to crap. So far I have a choice, pay the shop the $400 in labor for attempting a job or give them the motor for their effort and call it even. I know the salt has really really corroded the little engine so kinda stuck on what to do.

I have priced a new 25hp with power tilt/trim at $4900. Thats a NO GO.
So I guess a used motor is it...
Any thoughts?

thanks
Mickey

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
How far have they gotten?? Might just be the shift rod is out of adjustment...maybe not but, if they have gotten the L/U off that's most of the labor. The rest is easy peasy. I would say, you already owe them for that labor so far, pay them. IF they have gotten the L/U off, let them finish, if they are still messing around with it I would say maybe find someone else more competent.

I wish you were closer, I would help you out with it and you could do it yourself. I just went through this on a 20 Merc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys

The rods threads are bad and bent on the end, it also has broken the part that the linkage hooks to directly on the lower part of the power head. So the power head has to be removed. These guys cannot get the power head off. All of the bolts have broken off from the head to the lower and they have drilled them out to get it separated. They even hooked a tractor to the upper and the lower to a chain hoist, it raised the tractor off the ground. I know the salt has done a number on this little motor, I just cant decide if I want to just give them the motor in trade and call it even or go searching craigslist for another. So far the shop does not have any motors to offer me...and new is out of the question

How far have they gotten?? Might just be the shift rod is out of adjustment...maybe not but, if they have gotten the L/U off that's most of the labor. The rest is easy peasy. I would say, you already owe them for that labor so far, pay them. IF they have gotten the L/U off, let them finish, if they are still messing around with it I would say maybe find someone else more competent.

I wish you were closer, I would help you out with it and you could do it yourself. I just went through this on a 20 Merc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright guys, I was talking with the boss (the wife), she says just wash our hands of this old salty motor and go in search of a replacement, preferably one with power tilt/trim.
SO does anyone know of a 25 or 35 hp good running motor for sale? Preferably with power tilt and trim?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Personally I would give that engine a bath in CRC 656 and see where it takes you that's sad a mechanic told you they can't separate the power head from the exhaust manifold although I don't know why you need to because it should just be a small shift rod that runs right next to the drive shaft to the clutch dog there is very few mechanics anymore and even fewer that are competent most of them have turned into parts changers wish I was closer to take a look at it for you but if you are still reading my insane run on sentence because I don't feel like adding some periods at 1030 on a Sunday here are some ideas go to west marine or store that sells salt away duct tape up air intake and spray it with salt away give it 30 min spray again hit it with a brush now keep on mind to secure all air and major electrical sources use some engine bright scrub again then try to get most of water up afterwards use some CRC 656 and just let that can rip all over it cover with a plastic bag and let it sit for the day go out later with a towel and majority of the crap should just wipe off if all that doesn't work PM me I have another idea but it's more involved

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seems to me that you need to find a competent motor person. It shouldn't be that hard of a job. Rasing a tractor off the ground? I find that one a little hard to believe. Anyway, pay these folks for their work, and try to find another motor person. If they have already drilled out the bolts, you may be hosed already. I agree with Girkman, these guys seem like sad mechanics.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have had them stick like that. I have always been able to get them apart but a shop has to look at time vs $ and they cant get away with charging you 8-10 hrs or more of labor working with something like that. People would refuse to pay it. A backyard guy that knows what he is doing might tackle it. I would if I were closer. But a shop isn't going to.
The most expensive thing on a boat is the motor. Often it's cheaper to buy a whole used boat and use the motor than it is to find a motor alone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sundrop, I believe that will be what the plan. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I have had them stick like that. I have always been able to get them apart but a shop has to look at time vs $ and they cant get away with charging you 8-10 hrs or more of labor working with something like that. People would refuse to pay it. A backyard guy that knows what he is doing might tackle it. I would if I were closer. But a shop isn't going to.
The most expensive thing on a boat is the motor. Often it's cheaper to buy a whole used boat and use the motor than it is to find a motor alone.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sundrop, I believe that will be what the plan. Thanks everyone for your suggestions
On that note if you end up with an old boat left over you want to get rid of cheap let me know :)

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I know I have NEVER found a good solution to the saltwater corrosion that happens between the Aluminum and Stainless Steel.
I do agree with Sundrop and his statement that the shop has to look at time versus money. After all they are in business and need to make money, otherwise they won't be in business long.
I would dump the motor and find something else. Sorry that a Freebee has ended up costing you money.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I know I have NEVER found a good solution to the saltwater corrosion that happens between the Aluminum and Stainless Steel.
I do agree with Sundrop and his statement that the shop has to look at time versus money. After all they are in business and need to make money, otherwise they won't be in business long.
I would dump the motor and find something else. Sorry that a Freebee has ended up costing you money.
EXACTLY! I have ended up dumping too much time in money that would have been WAAAAY more cost effective to simply replace.
There is not an easy, guaranteed method to deal with that corrosion. If that is corroded so bad, what does the inside of the block look like? I would definitely consider getting another motor
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/bod/4728557083.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.