NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my current seat and I think I like the idea of a boat seat. I am concerned with mounting the base directly to the kayak for stability reasons. Am I over thinking it, or would that weaken the boat? I am looking for a clean install so it looks natural.

Just looking for opinions on a boat seat vs. a quality kayak seat and if anyone has used a boat seat, how you securely attach it.

Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I use a boat seat in the Frontier, I mad an Aluminum mount that fits in the same track as the factory one. The stability wasn't an issue, but I like the paddle angle sitting lower down in the boat. I also have a boat seat in an OK Drifter, a molded plastic seat from Wal0Mart fits fairly well in the seat pan on the Drifter. No mounting, just a clip to kep it from getting away in case of a spill, I did have to put a 1 X 1 piece of wood under the front part of the seat to make it feel right to me. I like the boat seat better than normal Kayak seat.

The Native, Jackson, Ascend, lawn/beach chair type seat are great, but pricey and hard to fit in anything other than what they were designed to go in.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I use a boat seat in the Frontier, I mad an Aluminum mount that fits in the same track as the factory one. The stability wasn't an issue, but I like the paddle angle sitting lower down in the boat. I also have a boat seat in an OK Drifter, a molded plastic seat from Wal0Mart fits fairly well in the seat pan on the Drifter. No mounting, just a clip to kep it from getting away in case of a spill, I did have to put a 1 X 1 piece of wood under the front part of the seat to make it feel right to me. I like the boat seat better than normal Kayak seat.

The Native, Jackson, Ascend, lawn/beach chair type seat are great, but pricey and hard to fit in anything other than what they were designed to go in.

Darrell
I've fished from the OK Drifter and that was a comfy ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.