NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a boat show this weekend in Northern Virginia..
They had a HOBIE booth set up... I was impressed, of course I don't know jack about Kayak's.

I was wondering what Kayaker think of their products..especially the pedal system.. I was really thinking of buying the complete package that they called "The mirage adventure island".. It look like it was capable for all types of activities,,,fishing, sailing, and look like a lot of fun... I am not experienced with Kayaks and this looked like a stable platform that I could fish off of until I got better and then could remove the outriggers...

Thanks in advance for the feedback:)

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
From this kayaker's perspective, the Hobies are very well built boats and the mirage drive is amazing technology. Just pricey. There are some pics out here somewhere of Kayakingglenn in his Adventure Island. If you're really just looking for stability you can get it in lots of different ways that don't include the outriggers (amas). But to sail, pedal, paddle, fish, play, etc... the AI is the ticket.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For ponds, lakes and saltwater I don't think you will beat a Hobie with the pedal drive system. Most of their other boats don't look to bad either. One thing you can say about them is that they have made a concerted effort to be fisherman friendly in their designs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a mirage revolution and a sport a couple weeks ago after looking at them for a year.
Had them out 3 times so far and Love mine. Yes pricey but worth the money to me. It is REALLY nice to be able to choose to paddle or peddle especially when the water is cold. I always hated getting all wet from paddle drip when it is cold out and the water is freezing. Plus hands free operation is awesome.

Both models are really stable. I stood up in my revolution the first day out. Didnt get really crazy as the water was so cold I didnt want to push things. Dont think I could throw a cast net from standing position but Its nice to be able to streach...

Both handle well under paddle or peddle. the sport turns well for its shape. revolution I would be comfortable taking through up to class 2 water prob. They are both really flat water boats but handle nicely. track great with the rudder and I can spin it well with the rudder up. Anyway, really havnt had enough time to really push the boat but love what I see so far. Lots of nice design details that were well thought out by hobie.

If you are in the Winston salem area or not too far away PM me and you can come try them out sometime. I was a bit worried about spending that much cash with out try out myself but didnt know anyone with one. Also I hear Great Outdoor Prov co in Reilegh will hold a demo some time in late spring where you can also try them out. Good luck but I would say 2 thumbs up for a fishing toy.

Wade

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only thing I am not totally crazy about on the hobie kayaks is that they are rotomolded plastic. I have never owned a plastic boat and would much prefer a composite boat.

we'll see how they hold up over time. I would rather something I could repair if I crack a hole in it... guess you could plastic weld up a fix but........

anyway, that is the only negative that I can come up with about them at this point.

later
n2

·
Registered
191 Posts
I fish a Hobie Quest and absolutely love it. It does not have the mirage drive but that is fine by me.

The Quest had the right mix of speed, weight, stability, and versatility for the type fishing I do.

I've never used the mirage drive but my understanding is that you have to steer it with your hand so it's not totally "hands free" fishing. That being said, I'm sure the mirage drive works well in certain situations.

I do a lot of river fishing so I prefer the paddle / foot controlled rudder combination. I can paddle up stream and drift down using my rudder to control my drift...that is true hands free fishing.

Hobie makes great products and has exellent customer service, they are a little pricier that other brands. Keep you eye out for used yaks, I found a good deal on my Quest that way.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had my Tarpon 120 for several years now and it is rotomolded and it has taken on some of the most jagged rocks the New River has to offer. Amazingly when you get back in after a days fishing and see all those scratches there are no holes or leaks. I believe a composite hull would be the opposite.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks sammy that makes me feel a bit more confident about the plastic.

ECU - Yea you are correct. it is not totally hands free. the rudder is controlled by a right/left finger tang located at your left elbow area. however, I find that at least when lake or flat water fishing I can leave it alone mostly and just slowly cruise the shoreline casting with only occasional adjustments to compensate between casts.

Just by pumping my toes against the peddles gently I can very quitely creep along the shore. its cooooool.
Later
N2

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Plastic boats in general have not had a reputation for structural failure. They're generally very rugged, as Sammy pointed out. I do recall hearing some things about the drivewells on some of the pedal-driven Hobies... probably associated with a reminder to make sure that the pedal-drive system is properly seated and locked in place before you start pedaling it. The scupper holes are a common stress point (especially when the boat is sat-in on dry land), and the pedal-well gets its own unique set of stresses.

There are a lot of pedal-powered Hobies out there, and there does not seem to have been a significant problem at all, as far as structural problems. As stated before, they're just a pain-in-the-hip-pocket to buy.

Oh yeah, if you're planning to car-top it, it'll be awful heavy.

(And watch out for Hobie-induced spelling errors. There's a whole lot of folks that forget how to spell "pedal" once they get their Hobies. Just a pet peeve of mine...)

Reactions: 06aces

·
Registered
334 Posts
I love my Hobie adventure island. I've had it almost a year now. So far I've ventured that as far as the jetties but if I could find someone else to go with me I would like to make some fishing trips further out into the ocean. Short of a structural failure it wont turn over or sink. If you don't use the amas or the sail, it only weighs about 65 pounds. The way I have mine equipped with the electronics and everything it is very heavy. I keep it together on a Hobie trailer which makes getting into the water about a five-minute job. It was one of the first purchases I have made that I don't have buyer's remorse.

Reactions: Jeffonc
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.