NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 30+ year old boat trailer, that has seen better days. The main problem is that one of the bunks is sort of loose - when I reload the boat, or hit a bump on the road, one of them keeps jamming down from the boat's weight. It has nut/bolts that are fused by rust, on an adjustable bracket rail (I don't know what else to call it) that hold the bunks up at the proper level and angle. My current solution: I use a hand sledge to pound it back up after unloading the boat at the lake.

Sounds idiotic, right? But here is the bigger idiotic question: How do you go about making the proper repairs on something like this - the boat would be in the way, and the weight would also prevent me from making adjustments. I don't have a private pond/lake to keep the boat tied up at while I work on the trailer. I have thought of "lending" the boat to a friend on the lake for a day, but you know what happens once you start tearing things apart: you can bet that it will take a heck of a lot longer to get it done than you thought.

Anybody have any ideas how to go about this with very minimal equipment availability (no lifts, no acetylene torches, etc), or know of a place in Greensboro area that does boat trailer repairs (upon receiving the trailer WITH the boat on top)?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use a floor jack and wood to raise a boat away from where I need to work. I use anything from a hacksaw, chisel, air saw, grinder, torches, depending on what I have to do and where it is. A wet blanket or wet cardboard taped to the hull can be a heat shield when needed. A shop can take care of it easily but they will charge well.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photos are a good idea - however I'm at work so it will have to wait. Also, I can't picture from where I'm sitting here whether you can see it that well without the boat. Any of you that fish Randleman or Mackintosh and seen a nasty-looking trailer in the parking lot, that was me, lol. Funny story about that : at Randleman some guy walked past and turned his nose up at it, shook his head, etc.. Then I wound up following him back down to the launch - of course, he had a fancy, fully-decked out boat, and he struggled for at least 10 minutes getting it back on his trailer, it was like Memorial Day at the Boat Ramp. There was a long line too. My turn was next, and bam I was out of there in like 2 minutes. So that nasty trailer can still get it done.

·
Registered
875 Posts
First thought was to use a floor jack with a lenght of lumber to support the boat enough to take pressure off the bunk. That should raies it enough to get it loosened.Go from there.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If you know someone with a lake house ask to leave it at there dock while you complete repairs. If you dont know anyone you could probably leave it in a marina for a couple days or weeks.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Jack it off the trailer, move the trailer and set the boat in a simple cradle.
I've got one sitting on a cradle with casters right now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Get a bunch of old tires. Tie back of the boat to tree and release winch strap,SLOWLY pull forward while boat slides off trailer and place old tires under boat to support it. To get it back on jack up the bow of the boat and start winching and backing up slowly until it starts to come up on the bunks. It can be done by one person but easier with some help. Wet the bunks when reloading to make it slide easier.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have done what albright said a few times over the years, and it worked ok for me. Just be very careful not to damage your boat in the process.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Battery powered sawzall, a wrench, and a ratchet, won't take long to cut and replace a few bolts. Have someone anchor the boat out of the way and wave em over when you're done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts